Cutting moulded interior doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any experience of trimming moulded interior doors past the recommended 5mm from either side.

My doorway is 880mm wide and the only 6-panel door I can find that's wide enough is a moulded type at 926mm. This means I'll have to remove 23mm from either side, which would take me past the internal framework of the moulded door. I've heard someone mention that it's possible to remove the frame down either side of the door and then glue/fix/re-attach it further in from the edge, thereby allowing me to cut more material from the sides of the door.

Has anyone done this before and can you give me any tips on how to go about it.

To pre-emp the questions:
Cheapness is key, so trying to avoid a custom door.
Have searched for pine, which would presumably allow more trimming, but can't find one wide enough.
It's going to be painted white so finish is not relevant.
Has to be six panel.
height is 2010mm.
The doorway is quite ornate and fully painted/finished so can't widen the doorway at this point.

Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
cutting down the door.

cut the door down to the size required.carefully remove the timber from the board of the bits youve cut off.recut to correct size.glue and pin the piece of wood back into door body.you will have to push the cardboard back to allow this to happen.leave over night and then fit the door.could you not buy "blank" door,wont be panneled tho

cutting down the door.

cut the door down to the size required.carefully remove the timber from the board of the bits youve cut off.recut to correct size.glue and pin the piece of wood back into door body.you will have to push the cardboard back to allow this to happen.leave over night and then fit the door.

Tis a good dodge & I've used it several times to good effect on door bottoms; I don’t even pin, just glue & clamp. ;) Never tried it on the sides though; bit more tricky but no reason why it shouldn’t work just as well though, just a lot more work.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the tips Rich & Chukka, I thought it might be as straight forward as that but wanted to check to avoid making mistakes on the first go. It is a strange size door, I guess it's due to the age of the building (150yrs), where the doors were probably made to fit the hole, rather than the other way round :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks again,

Now where did I put that rip saw........

it will look absolutly horrible the sides will be so thin then take off the doorstop you will have around 50mm showing instead off 85ish mm

as said fill in for a 826 door and use larger archatraves to cover the join

better to standardise the door gives you a chance to bring it square again for easy fitting ;)

or use a blank re-edge then use moulding glued on to give the correct sized panels :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back