Door made from MDF?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't mean to be thick, but is there any reason why I shouldn't make an interior door out of MDF? I thought I could cut out four panels in two sheets of mdf and then fix them either side of a solid sheet of MDF to create a basic four panel door. On the inside edges of the panels I could glue strips of moulding to create a more interesting detail.

The reason is that I need a custom height door made and it's proving to be very expensive. I could make up the mdf version myself and would paint it.

Am I missing something - for example, if an mdf sandwich door like this was about 2200mm high would it warp?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Biggest problem with your idea is that the hinge screws will be going into the edge of the mdf and thus won't have a good fixing at all.
You would be better off making a timber frame out of say 32mm x 44mm timbers to the overall size of the door and overlaying that with 3mm mdf or hardboard both sides plus your decorative details, not forgetting to put in timbers to hold the lock/latch and handles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back