Need advice on Scottish Government free gas boiler scheme

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some advice on the Scottish Government scheme to provide free replacement gas boilers and radiators to people on low incomes.

One of my relatives qualifies for this scheme and they have been advised that they can get a replacement boiler, all radiators replaced and underfloor insulation, but the only option is to have an ideal logic boiler fitted. I'm not sure what the model is, but he was told it only comes with a two year guarantee, so I'm assuming it's one of the lower range models. He has also been told there is no option to upgrade to a better model of boiler even if he is willing to pay towards this.

His current boiler is an ideal one which I believe is over 20 years old, so won't be as efficient as current models, although it's been pretty reliable.

From what I have seen online ideal boilers don't have a great reputation, so I'm looking for some advice from anyone with experience of this scheme or the boilers used, to advise them if it's worthwhile taking up this offer.

Sponsored Links
Seems like a no-brainier to me. What’s wrong with all that for free. So what if they have to pay for the odd repair when the 2 year warranty has run out. What happens if their existing boiler expires in the next two years? I’d say get in there quick before the scheme expires.

So they get a free boiler and you are moaning about limited choice and want a longer warranty, honestly some people

I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth for pete's sake

The only reason it is a 2 year warranty is because it is part of the replacement scheme, same as new build installs, only way they can supply them cheaply enough. I'm sure that warranty would be able to be extended with an Ideal's engineer service.

Sponsored Links
Ian, He's not moaning about the choice or warranty, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want to avoid potential problems with a boiler that only has a two year warranty by upgrading to a model with a longer warranty and pay for the upgrade himself.

I did think myself that it was a no brainer, but some older people worry about this type of thing.

Thank to everyone for the advice.

Ideal are better than they were...Still would never fit one...but as said.....fek it...tiz free.

One of my relatives qualifies for this scheme and they have been advised that they can get a replacement boiler, all radiators replaced and underfloor insulation, but the only option is to have an ideal logic boiler fitted.
Fek me.....not bad at all.Even if the combi goes in the bin after 3 years (which it wont) it is worth it 5 times over

Fek me.....not bad at all.Even if the combi goes in the bin after 3 years (which it wont) it is worth it 5 times over

My thoughts exactly. Take the free boiler and if it lasts for a few years, he will still have saved money on lower bills with the more efficient boiler until it packs up. There is also the chance that it will last for years without any problems.

Ian, He's not moaning about the choice or warranty, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want to avoid potential problems with a boiler that only has a two year warranty by upgrading to a model with a longer warranty and pay for the upgrade himself.
These companies buy the boilers for buttons and that is why the warranty duration is reduced, there are different companies that will offer different boilers at different rates, as a self employed heating engineer I am probably not the best to ask for advice on this scam, has completely destroyed the trade with cowboy companies fitting these boilers the running away and leaving us to pick up the pieces

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back