NEW BOILER ADVICE PLEASE

Sponsored Links
CHeSS states it as minimum requirements to have TRV's all round except in room where room stat is.

Not a requirement on boiler swaps. Recommended as best practice.
Depends on how you interpret the Domestic Heating Compliance Guide's requirements for a "replacement system" - defined as virtually any change to an existing system - , which says that replacement systems have to meet the same standard as new systems unless an exception is listed.

Under "Temperature Control of Space Heating", new installations have to have Room stats and/or TRVs. The only exception given for a "replacement systems" is that, if you are just replacing the HW cylinder on a gravity system, the minimum requirement is a thermo-mechanical cylinder thermostat.

There is nothing to say that you do not have to fit TRVs when you replace a boiler.

If you read the relevant sections it states that where the boiler only is replaced that reasonable provision for a space heating system would be to control as one zone.

Further down the same page it states that separate temperature control of zones within the dwelling should be provided using

i. room thermostats or programmable room thermostats in all zones or
ii. a room thermostat or programmable room thermostat in the main zone and TRVs on the radiators in all other zones or
iii. a combination of i. and ii. above.

As it is possible to view the whole system as one zone it is therefore not necessary to provide TRVs on every rad.

have a look at http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_PTL_DOMHEAT.pdf

Page 15

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
with a boiler replacement it is only advised to stick trv's on, not compulsory as far as i remember..
2900 quid for a 15 kw like for like heat-only boiler; if only i got jobs like that.
no wonder this government has worked up a trillion pound debt if they think that is value for money. looks like about 500 quid materials, and 2 days labour at the very most; that works out at something like 150 quid an hour.
i doubt the boys doing the actual work get much more than 400 out of it so who gets the remaining 2 grand??
am i the only one who suspects hanky panky somewhere?

with a boiler replacement it is only advised to stick trv's on, not compulsory as far as i remember..
2900 quid for a 15 kw like for like heat-only boiler; if only i got jobs like that.
no wonder this government has worked up a trillion pound debt if they think that is value for money. looks like about 500 quid materials, and 2 days labour at the very most; that works out at something like 150 quid an hour.
i doubt the boys doing the actual work get much more than 400 out of it so who gets the remaining 2 grand??
am i the only one who suspects hanky panky somewhere?

I think we need to set up a focus group to look into it. I'll apply for a grant ;) :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back