Need advice on what looks to me a bad job so far.

I wonder how many manhours it would take to remove the boiler from the wall, fit the spacing bracket thing then run all the pipework up the back.

If they did that, where would you expect them to put the brass filter that's currently fitted to the pipework running up the side if the boiler? It needs cleaning annually and so must be accessible

Sponsored Links
What I am expecting now:-
A/ To fix all of the above at no further cost to myself.
B/ I reserve the right to hold Domestic and General accountable for the flooding and to hold in reserve a judgement of further complaint including the use of previous photographic material to should anything else go wrong.
C/ For this to be fixed ASAP and will not sign or pay any further money until this work has been completed to my satisfaction and original specification.

How did D&G get involved in this? :confused:

If they did that, where would you expect them to put the brass filter that's currently fitted to the pipework running up the side if the boiler? It needs cleaning annually and so must be accessible

What's the brass filter for ? . :confused:

Sponsored Links
Absolute abortion fits where it touches,
Spacer bracket should have been used and boiler dropped then the filter (or different make) could have been fitted above (would have been tight but neater.
or properly flushed and inhibited no absolute need for it )

The pipes out of ceiling would have then been easily connected up straight instead of the mangled abortion they are.

And that condensate could do with tidying up also.

Magnetic inline scale reducer ? usually have to be a minimum distance from the appliance otherwise they are completely ineffective could it not have been fitted below the worktop.

Chip board floors ripped apart do they not have a circular saw and nail punch.

Brickwork it could not be easier as the original was not tied in so replace all 3 bricks in the picture takes minutes and is far neater.

How anyone can defend this mess makes me wonder what standard of work they work to themselves.
Its in the kitchen and it looks a very nice kitchen too so should have been fitted so as not to detract from the looks of it .

Would i have been annoyed if customer had lay down certain conditions of how install should look re pipe runs NO not in anyway at all but if they where not achievable then this is why you speak to the person paying you the money to explain what they can have and WHY they can`t have what they think an be done.

All very basic

Any intention to fit the boiler off the wall should have been discussed and agreed before starting work.

Perhaps this installer did not think of that?

Thats why a more expensive installer will often display a better knowledge of the possibilities. The cheapest are not always the best solution.

But then perhaps the owner told the installer EXACTLY how he wanted it installed?

What I am expecting now:-
A/ To fix all of the above at no further cost to myself.
B/ I reserve the right to hold Domestic and General accountable for the flooding and to hold in reserve a judgement of further complaint including the use of previous photographic material to should anything else go wrong.
C/ For this to be fixed ASAP and will not sign or pay any further money until this work has been completed to my satisfaction and original specification.

How did D&G get involved in this? :confused:

I thought they were the main contractors who had subbed out the work.

Not gonna read all that, but the job is crap, totally unacceptable.

Not gonna read all that, but the job is crap, totally unacceptable.

For those who dont know, DIA used to work for a top rate company doing quality installations.

He has no experience of the cheap, fitted in a few hours without flushing, boiler replacements.

Very unfortunately most cheap jobs look pretty similar to those pictures. I would say those photos are typical of the bottom 30%.

Its not as bad as some though. They even used a matching brick! Many I see just smooth a little cement over the old flue hole.

Despite my (still valid I'm afraid) opinion of your opening gambit - that is far from satisfactory workmanship. Especially what's going on in the old airing cupboard and above the boiler - caulk- not chalk BTW ;).

That gate valve is passing and should be replaced with a stop end. and they shouldn't be leaving valves without a capped piece of pipe in the other end.

Good luck and keep us posted. :!:

Well I have to say I'm not a trained plumber and I could have done better than that!

The OP does come across as picky in his opening post - that may have enforced the fitters' desire to get out of that job as quick as they can.

As has been said, the proper response to customers who come across as picky is to carefully consider their requests and discuss the job at their level.

On the other hand, to turn around to a customer and tell them the detail of the job is not their concern (I've heard of this approach too) is IMO an invite for a kick up the backside out of the door. I would never have the arrogance to do that - I hope!

As for being ripped off previously. We all have lets face it. We've all taken our car somewhere where the work has been less than satisfactory, we've all bought goods that were crap. And I'm ashamed to say it myself - I've used fellow builders who quite frankly couldn't build. I got rid of them asap and haven't had them back.

That doesn't mean to say you need to dictate requirements - you can discuss requirements, but they shouldn't be dictated.

I am soon to do a job for a client who asked me for references. They are the first people ever to do that in my 7 years of trading! They approached it very respectfully and were at pains to say to me that they had to kick a builder off a job previously and were keen to make sure they got someone reliable and who could do a quality job without damaging the house.

I really didn't mind. I explained that I would have to ask a couple of clients and would attach their details to my quotes.

To the OP, if you are genuinely concerned about being ripped off - in future discuss your requirements with the tradesmen at their level. I can't help thinking that this is the job from hell for these guys and it's coming out in their quality of work to an extent. Whether it would have been top notch otherwise is another matter, but I think you could be hitting brick walls on a regular basis with this one at the moment.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just walked from the job with your 20% deposit though, which would be a huge loss for them.

Cheers Guys,

To Agile, I bought the bricks that's why they match, though I did buy 6 and the broke 3 and used one.

Chalk, caulk oops.

After my first email to them prior to them coming I had a frank and open discussion with the head engineer. He agreed all of my points and apologised for being blunt but that's what his engineers did anyway and for me not to worry. I felt eased by his confidence, charm and apparent knowledge of his craft. He also talked me into buying a magna clean thingumajig for an extra £170.

Only when this started going south did he mention that his understanding differed from our original conversation and that it was my fault as I should have told him I meant inside external walls rather than external as the term external to him meant outside. Semantics me thinks.

I have had to write another email and now following up with a registered letter as no one got back to me yesterday even though I requested it and the leak continues (though be it slowly) as everything is turned off in the house.

As far as I see it there are only three procedures to follow.

1/ Write a letter and wait until they call or write to me to explain what they are going to do and come to an agreement.
2/ If an agreement can't be reached or they ignore me within my specified time, request a full refund, though I have to give them the opportunity to repair the job or come back to me with some sort of offer first.
Or come a collect their boiler and associated bits, or maybe remove them and leave them outside (watertight container) for them to collect.
3/ Then call CAB, CD and the CC company and get some further advice on how to proceed, which will most likely be the first two options.

If they never get back to me and I have given enough time then as I have already notified the of my intentions to keep the boiler and associated goods they fitted in compensation to get another plumber to come and do the job properly. If there is any money left over I may offer them a gesture of goodwill of maybe the deposit.

Not sure what else to do.

BTW this is in Leighton Buzzard.

Regards
David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back