Need advice painting dirty concrete flooring outside

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have concrete flooring outside the back of the house.
I'd been meaning to paint for 3 years.
Summers nearly gone... I was planning to paint.

PROBLEM: how do I clean?
I tried using a pressure washer last night.
It worked - kind of - but was taking strips of the concrete off!
Some of the dirt is green stuff - some sort of mold or something I guess.
I can try using a broom and washing down.
But any other suggestions??

Paint: I'm guessing I have a few days only.
I need a very course paint.
Where can I buy from?
Going to b&q now. Any other suggestions would be great.

Also... What items do I need? Brush? Roller? Anything else? Spirit?

Also... How best do I protect the wall from the paint? I'm guessing masking tape won't be good enough?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is it just a patio type slab of concrete? If yes then it probably doesn't have a damp proof membrane, meaning that ground moisture may cause anything you buy from B&Q to fail.

I think you might need to apply a 2 part epoxy resin but they won't be cheap and you have to ensure that you mix the product correctly.

https://www.permagard.co.uk/advice/damp-proof-concrete-floors

Read the above and then email them to make sure that they have a suitable product. Remind them that it needs to be able to absorb ultra violet light given that it is out doors.

I would not expect a domestic pressure washer to break down concrete, are you sure it wasn't washing/blowing away cement used to fill cracks.

Bleach and a brush will remove the green mould. What ever product you use, you need to remove that, otherwise the paint will sit on top of that rather than the concrete.

Another company to ask for advice

https://regalpaint.co.uk/floor-paint/concrete-floor-paint/

To be honest they were two of my quick google searches, I have never used either or their products.

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back