Need advice regarding the flue on my new inset gas fire.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just purchased a 4 sided, inset gas fire. I expected it to come with an outlet in the top for a chimney liner to attach to, but all it has is a small letterbox type slot in the back, with no obvious allowance for any sort of adapter. does this mean I don't need to attach a chimney liner to it? is it supposed to just vent out into the bare chimney breast and vent itself? or do I need some sort of flue box? the instructions that came with the fire aren't very clear (not to me anyway!).
I have attached a picture of the fire and a picture of my chimney.

Attachments

• IMG_3906.JPG
    IMG_3906.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_3907.JPG
    IMG_3907.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 177
Sponsored Links
Ask the GasSafe engineer who you've arranged fitting with

I'm not planning on fitting it myself, I'm not that naive. but I will have to block up the opening to the correct size hole for whatever is going in it. So if I know I need a flue box or whatever, then I will build it to that size.
Obviously I will seek the advice of my plumber, but I'm not about ringing him at 9pm to ask stupid questions. He's hard enough to get hold of at the best of times.
And anyway, I thought the whole point of a forum was to ask questions like this. If everyone 'asked the person who's doing the work' these forums wouldn't exist.

Sponsored Links
Is that a Crystal or a Legend gas fire?

but I will have to block up the opening to the correct size hole for whatever is going in it.

Ask your RGI.

I will seek the advice of my plumber,
You mean RGI - don't you?

but I'm not about ringing him at 9pm
Err, phone him tomorrow?

to ask stupid questions
Hmm, you said it.....But you expect an answer here, to your "stupid question"?

He's hard enough to get hold of at the best of times.
Imagine how hard it will be when the job goes tits up:rolleyes:

Shaun, it is the gas engineer that has to do the complete install, that includes the fitting, or arranging the fitting, of the flue and anything to do with it I'm afraid.
He needs to advise, the professionals on here are not allowed to offer advice on gas related items, that includes flues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back