Need advice removing tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi need to remove water tank so what would b best,as u can see in the pic the left pipe is inlet and the right is outlet was gona cut both and join with some flexi hose but pipe are diffrent size think ones 15mm and the other 20mm what would b the best option???

PICT0287-1.jpg

PICT0288-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are you Serious, Do Not Do Anything, GET SOMEONE IN WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!!!!!

You can not joint the 2 pipes, at least not without creating a serious problems.
As mentioned above, get a pro in; it will be a lot cheaper.

Sponsored Links
What probs could this cause and how would a pro go about this,does not work at the min as think element has gone so dont use hot water frpm a tap etc.

Thought if i keep the loop of workins as inlet goes in tank then exits in the bigger pipe at the bottom of the tank,i am a complete novice to plumbin so b gently :)

Op, what precisely are you thinking of achieving?

Wanted to remove tank as having central heating fitted with a combi boiler,have been told i will not need this tank so wanted to bypass this tank before central heating was fitted.

This could turn into a long thread!

So, if you could provide answer to the following, it may get us all a bit closer to giving you an answer:

1/. Do the taps in the bathroom run at mains pressure, or arethey gravity fed from a cold water tank?

2/. Apart from the immersion heater, do you have a gas boiler currently installed that heats the cylinder?

3/. Do you currently have any central heating (radiators are a big clue) installed?

This could turn into a long thread!

So, if you could provide answer to the following, it may get us all a bit closer to giving you an answer:

1/. Do the taps in the bathroom run at mains pressure, or arethey gravity fed from a cold water tank?

2/. Apart from the immersion heater, do you have a gas boiler currently installed that heats the cylinder?

3/. Do you currently have any central heating (radiators are a big clue) installed?

No cold water tank as a ground floor flat also no other boilers as im eco 7 so no rads the reason im gettin central heating fitted as elec to expensive lol.
Not used the immersion heater as first the element went and now the ballcock is leakin so have to tie it up.

i will b gratefull for your time in helping me with this thread. :)

In that case, turn off the tap supplying water to the ballcock (although I'm a bit confused as to what this supplies if there's no cold water tank). If there is no isolation valve, turn off the mains water, cut through the 15mm pipe near the ballcock valve and use a speedfit stopend. Trun mains water back on.

Turn off the electrics to the immersion heater at the consumer unit, and if you can't remove it, then stick some tape over it to prevent accidentally turning it on.

remove all wiring to the element (remove from the localised switch).

Turn on hot water tap and allow it to drain whatever cold water tank the ballcock feeds into.

Undo nut at top of tank (have lots of towels handy!), insert a bit of hosepips and syphon off as much water is possible. Remove cladding (red jacket) while this is going on, plus if there is a tank (which the ballcock feeds) disconnect/cut pipes and remove this.

When tank is empty, cut and remove all 22mm pipe (don't touch the rising main that you've capped off).

Remove cylinder.

Wanted to remove tank as having central heating fitted with a combi boiler,have been told i will not need this tank so wanted to bypass this tank before central heating was fitted.

the plumber will change the pipes and remove the tank when he installs the combi.
I know that, but I get the feeling that the op is chomping at the bit! ;)

Tank just supplys hot water to kitchen and bathroom taps no bath as its just a shower room and shower has a switch outside for hot water,stop value is on the outlet after the tank so gonna have to use the one under the sink.
Thanks for all the info but will i b able to connect the pipes up when ive had the central heating fitted.

leave it to the plumber it will probably be one of the easier parts of the install for him to connect your hot water taps.
try and do it yourself and you could end up with water everywhere.

the plumber will change the pipes and remove the tank when he installs the combi.

Need the space as abit short of storage and might b afew months before i get heating fitted also may get abit for the tank :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back