Need an to fit extractor , but how ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,
I have put this here as its essentially a building issue ( I think :confused: )

My cottage has 2 1/2 foot thick walls , which I think were made from granite :cry: Obviously they werent but you get the point.

I need an extractor in my Bathroom and kitchen , but as I cant get through the walls with a small SDS drill bit , how am I going to make an approx 6 inch hole for an extractor ?

I was wondering (for the bathroom) whether a condensing unit could be fitted in the loft directly above ?

Any ideas gratefully recieved!

Simon

Sponsored Links
As an alternative to cutting a core out of the wall, you can have an extractor in the ceiling, witrh a duct (like you'd use for a tumble drier) taking the steam to an exit tthrough the eaves. Flop some insulation over the duct to prevent it getting cold and having condensation inside.

You can also take it through the tiles or ridge with a special fitting, but in my view this is more work and gives the opportunity for leaks.

Yeah the eaves idea had occured to me , but how about the kitchen ? I think thats going to be the one thats a nightmare :confused:

Many thanks John :D

I don't know what your walls are really made of. Most people use a core drill, that you can hire from a tools and plant hire shop. It cuts a neat round hole ideal for soil pipes and extractor ducts.

See if you can find anyone who's done it in a similar local house. A plumber or tool hire person may know if local materials are especially difficult.

You could also have a window mounted one. Expect to get a new piece of glass, as old glass is brittle and will crack.

Your kitchen, if an old house, may have a chimney. If using this with an extractor fit a flexible liner (as used with gas fires) or you will get condensation inside.

Sponsored Links
Be careful using a core drill in this case. As your cottage has stone walls, there could well be a back filled section in the centre of the wall (basically gravel and stones). When the core drill gets past this point the loose material can drop down behind the core and basically trap it in the middle of the wall. This happened to a mate of mine a few weeks back. He ended up demolishing the outer wall to get the drill out.
My dad's got a stone cottage and I made a 4" hole for him a few months ago for an air conditioning unit. Used a very long sds bit and made a small centre hole through the entire wall. Then drew a 5" circle around this hole (on both sides of the wall) and drilled it out from both sides. This way you get no major breakout damage and a pretty reasonable hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back