Need Combi with 130,000ish btu C/Heating out put

2 boilers can make a good economic (purchase price) case, but I doubt you really need more than about 100 - 120kBtu, so it's not really big enough. All decent boilers modulate down to 25% output, or thereabouts.

Get rad specs from p[lumbers merchants, or online from Myson, Stelrad, Barlo. If yours don't have convector fins, take 25% off the output of a similar sized one which has.

Sounds like your boiler is furred up, sooted up , or something fairly drastic!. Check your rads for sludge (search forum) - and if necessary get it powerflushed.

If you have a couple of showers to run at a time I'd recommend an unvented hot water cylinder if your mains supply is good enough (would need testing), and maybe a Keston condensing boiler, or maybe a Bosch Greenstar, though they have aluminium heat exchangers, which worry many of us for long life.

Also look at your rads - new ones aren't all that expensive if your old ones are sludgy or beaten up. There are heat loss programs on line - Myson and Barlo again. Those sums are the starting point to a warm house.

Remember to allow a fair bit on the boiler size for heating up the HW cylinder if you have 4 or 5 kids! The coild in them these days are very quick - around 25 kWatts.

If your mains is poorish you'll have to keep to a gravity system for HW, possibly pumping showers.

Sponsored Links
Thermostatic radiator valves.....I wouldn't expect you to let your family freeze but 19 rads is a lot of rooms which I don't imagine are all used at the same time ie Spare bedrooms. By fitting zone controls you can set bedrooms to come on in the evening and downstairs in the daytime or whatever suits your needs and then fine tune the temperatures with TRV's in the individual rooms. This should mean that your heating load will never actually be at the maximum 130000 btu and you may get away with your existing boiler. It is difficult to say without seeing your house or knowing your lifestyle but it may be an option. I think honeywell now have a digital zone control valve you can fit on a radiator as a RF unit.

Cheers lads

yeah i have trv's

My heating is on all day every day(winter) from 08:00 to 10.30ish at night. aint on much in the summer as we get good heat from the sun, just as well really or my bill would be mental.

it is more the size of the rooms than the quantity. boys 2 rooms 7 x 4meters, daughter 8 x 4 meters, main bed room 8 x 6meters, lounge 7 x 8meters so u can see can't really shut anything off as no spare rooms, plus this being an old house the insulation prob aint that good.

the zones make good sense i think i will include this im my new setup, no use just now as it takes all day to heat up the boys rooms.

looks like i will be going for what i have just bigger and newer

thanks again some good info there

Paul

LOL BREEZER i have heard that one...

what about hey you, you ripped me off. i orderd that fire.. but where is my free fire surround and marble it showed in the picture!!! :evil:

oh hello i need to book a service in please,
yer sure any problems at all with your heating.

errr yes my boiler is banging, the pilot light wont light, its leaking water, i can smell gas, the flue is blocked and my heating pipes bang! but i think it just needs a service.

OR THIS MUST BE THE BEST!

a landlord phone up..

ALLO YOU CP12 ME?

sorry what do you mean i cp12 you?

YOU KNOW DAM WELL U GIVE ME CP12, A BLANK ONE SO I FILL IN MYSELF..

mmmmmmmmmmmm NO!

or how about hello there i would like to order a corgi boiler LOL that is always what people say.

Or this wins!

hello i have just bought my council house {ALARM BELLS RINGING!!!} i want this new fire fitted i got from B&Q. Its a valor dream inset.

ok what kind of fire do you have in at the moment?

erm, its a housewarmer backboiler with epic fire .

Sorry but it wont fit you cant get fires anymore apart from replacements..

then they say, your perthetic and havent got a clue what your talking about, your a joke and a fool and will find someone who will fit it LOL :LOL:

Sponsored Links
boxster said:
my boiler is banging, the pilot light wont light, its leaking water, i can smell gas, the flue is blocked and my heating pipes bang! but i think it just needs a service.

Why won't you take me on service contract...you installed it 17 years ago.

lol i know that is another good one.. or what about this...

hello are you a gas fitter?

yes

well my husband says the is a problem with our new inset gas fire?

oh really whats the problem?

My pilot light wont stay on?

Oh it just sounds like a thermocouple... or some dirt

No my husband says its the pump in the fire to pump the gas round you installed the fire... it was installed 6 years ago and neve been serviced but i think you should fix it free as you fitted it. I have 5 dogs..LOL

the thing i will bet is that they are being serious (the people who you have mentioned) it beggars belief, but it is funny

i know, its unreal aint it... breezer you should do a forum for this LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back