Need Heating/hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've just bought a 1900 end of terrace cottage with NO heating at all in it! I've got a cylinder for hot water for the moment, but i'm looking for a long term solution.

The problem I have is no gas in the village, transco or who ever they are this week want £12.000 to put gas in so thats out of the question.

I thought about oil but a local plumber says it noisy and expensive and would cost about £6k to install, he's suggested an electric boiler system, but i'm open to suggestions.

The property is 3 bed/ lounge-diner/celler and 1 bathroom and kitchen so I need about 7 rads, and would like hot water on tap like my old baxi combi used to give.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice. ;)

Sponsored Links
In a situation like that i would be inclined towards the electric boiler route. The technology has come on leaps and bounds over the past few years and with zero emissions there is no flue so can be sited virtually anywhere!!

Coupled with an unvented cylinder this could be a very good alternative. Oil, nowadays isnt noisy and there are alot of reliable and good manufacturers out there. The initial outlay though, could be very expensive and you will have to find somewhere to sit the storage tank. Not very pretty in a garden!!

Try looking here as these are a very good boiler and also has a bit more info for you.

http://www.trianco.co.uk/aztec_classic.cfm

Sponsored Links
What sort of cost am I looking at to run electric though, in comparasion to oil?

I know oil would be more expensive to install, but i'd have hot water on tap as opposed to having to wait for it to warm up, or does the electric opperate in the same way as a combi?

What sort of cost am I looking at to run electric though, in comparasion to oil?

I know oil would be more expensive to install, but i'd have hot water on tap as opposed to having to wait for it to warm up, or does the electric opperate in the same way as a combi?

Not unless you run the heat exhanger coil through Sizewell B first. Seriously though, electric is expensive to run and the best way would be to store the water as the boilers are of low output compared to a gas combi.

Hmmm going off this electric idea as i'm looking to heat about 40,000btu

Back to oil it is.

Is it possible to pump oil to 1st floor as i've been told "tiger loops" won't lift this high?

And are oil boilers really that noisy they should only be sited out doors?

Don't believe in anything above 2.5m lift and best use a wall mounted boiler above ground floor. Also as there is currently no heating, building regs may allow solid fuel eg. Trianco TRG (dear but no fuel tank). Or you could consider wood logs/wet stove. If money is tight you could just have a cylinder on electric and electric (thermostatically/timed) wall space heaters, they're not that cheap to run but are peanuts to buy and install compared to wet rad system.

cheers for the ideas so far.

I've got a cylinder that does the immersion at the mo and log fire in the lounge, but definitely would prefer a wet system as opposed to storage or convection heaters, as I need 7 rads it would cost to much to run all of them on electric.

Sorry there's no easy fix. Cheaper equipment is expensive to run and cheap to run is expensive to buy and install, even wood pellets now work out as dear as oil. Given the situation I would buy a twin coil thermal store (like a Gledhill Torrent) then connect a couple of solar panels and a wet back wood burning stove with immersion back up. This store could then run radiators and provide HW through a plate heat exchanger (assuming mains pressure is up to it).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back