Need help adjusting the system pressure gauge on my boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there!

I have a Greenstar 12i system Worcester boiler. A few minutes ago the system pressure gauge dropped all the way to red 0 and I need to get it back to at least green 2. I was shown how to adjust it: the boiler comes with a key which you stick into a hole in the bottom of the boiler. Your supposed to push it up this hole and turn it, and it should bring the gauge up. However when I do it nothing is happening. I have spent a good 40 minutes trying to push and turn this key and the gauge isnt adjusting, its very worrying. So I'm not really sure what to do now. I was told to make sure the gauge doesnt drop to red and now its gone all the way down.

I'm very worried about this. I've switched off the central heating for fear something is going to go wrong. All help is appriciated.

Sponsored Links
Where do we start??.....The key is inserted into the hole as far as it will go and twisted half a turn so it will not pull out , please try to pull it out , if it is correctly located it cannot be pulled out. There should be a little round valve handle next to the key which when turned lets the water in to the boiler . Open valve until gauge reads about 1.5 bar then close valve, remove key and keep safe, if in doubt read the boiler instructions. :D :eek:

isnt it a hexagonal nut? you turn (to the left of the in serted key).

The pressures droped for a reason, leak, bled radiators etc.

so dont stand there filling the system for to long (even if the gauge doesnt start moving) as you maybe flooding your house!

Hey guys there is 2 nuts either side of the "key hole". As you mentioned there is a white hexagonal nut on the left side. I turned this one earlier and water came spewing out so I quickly tightened it back up and left it. Still no luck with the key. Im sure i've put it in right but nothing is happening.

Sponsored Links
Hey guys there is 2 nuts either side of the "key hole". As you mentioned there is a white hexagonal nut on the left side. I turned this one earlier and water came spewing out so I quickly tightened it back up and left it. Still no luck with the key. Im sure i've put it in right but nothing is happening.

Do you not have the manual for the boiler? You can download it from the Worcester website if you need to.

Water spewed out because the key has not been fully inserted- you may need to rotate it a bit for it to fully engage.

Yes, it is the white hexagonal nut that needs to be turned to fill and repressurise the system.

The question remains - why did it drop to 0?

So let me get this right: I have to insert the key fully so it cant slip, turn it (clockwise i assume) and then, with the key still inserted and turned I then unscrew the white hexagonal nut.

I'm still not sure why it suddenly dropped. I didnt check it this morning and only checked later on after I heard a noise. I thought, thats odd the timer for the heating isnt suppose to come on this early.

So let me get this right: I have to insert the key fully so it cant slip, turn it (clockwise i assume) and then, with the key still inserted and turned I then unscrew the white hexagonal nut.

Yes. The key has two white rubber o-rings (from memory) - water flows through the middle of these, so if one not in place properly, neither is the other and water will come out.
I'm still not sure why it suddenly dropped. I didnt check it this morning and only checked later on after I heard a noise. I thought, thats odd the timer for the heating isnt suppose to come on this early.

Some indication of what sort of noise and where it came from may be of some use.

Some indication of what sort of noise and where it came from may be of some use.

Okay I've just tried it and its worked. I guess what I kept missing before was unscrewing that hexagonal nut after inserting the key.

Regarding the sound, It just sounded like the usuall murmuring the boiler makes when the central heating kicks in.

We shall see what we shall see.

It is possible that the pressure gauge got stuck and suddenly released itself for no apparent reason. Won't be the first time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back