Need help identifying and replacing a fitting

99% of cylinders in hot water systems use the top connection to supply hot water to taps, showers etc.

That side tapping I've never seen before, possibly added?
I once added a similar tapping to a replacement cylinder. It was the return for gravity circulation around a hot water loop feeding a bathroom on the other side of the house.
It worked well too. Hot towel warmer and instant hot water in the bathroom without a pump (and warm floorboards the length of the landing, so zero points for efficiency).

Sponsored Links
If that pipe gets hot when you turn on a hot tap, just put a 22mm tee in there and feed that to your shower.

Well, you COULD do that, if you weren't worried about any problems with air. Look at this and scroll down to pages FROM 12, and it will give you an idea of the correct way to do it. If you have bought your pump, you should find similatr advice:

http://www.taps4less.com/pdf/mira enhance shower pump.pdf

Or google for Wickes leaflets and you will find similar.

... Look at this and scroll down to pages FROM 12, and it will give you an idea of the correct way to do it. If you have bought your pump, you should find similatr advice:

http://www.taps4less.com/pdf/mira enhance shower pump.pdf

Or google for Wickes leaflets and you will find similar.

Thanks for that (and everyone else's advice), but I already have the pump and instructions, which suggests using a side tapping. It's interesting that Aqualisa prefer teeing off the vent pipe, but I'll leave that debate for another thread.

Thanks for that (and everyone else's advice), but I already have the pump and instructions, which suggests using a side tapping. It's interesting that Aqualisa prefer teeing off the vent pipe, but I'll leave that debate for another thread.

OK, I stand corrected! I have not fitted a shower for many years, but I never saw a diagram like that - they were all similar to the one I linked to. Anyway, good luck.

Sponsored Links
It`s a secondary return tapping :idea: alluded to by Tickly T

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back