Need help identifying door lock please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having issues with the door lock and latch for our french doors to the garden.

The latch is stuck within its case, the handle moves freely up and down but zero movement from the latch. This has been a long term issue.

Recently, the lock itself is refusing to engage in the keep. The door seems to shut fine/as per normal but when the key is turned it doesn't let me turn it all the way to fully engage the lock. With the door wide open, I can fully turn the key and the lock fully moves in and out ie assume issue lies with the keep.

I was thinking easiest thing would be to replace it all but after taking the cover off I've not seen this type of lock before where it sits on raised metal brackets and the cover is L shape to cover this raised gap.

1) any ideas on where to find a like for like replacement?
2) any suggestions to maybe fix the current lock/latch?
3) cover screws are rusted and worn so will replace them regardless, excuse my ignorance but where would I find screws like this?

For reference the door is would and suspect humidity/recent heavy rain has probably played it's part

20230717_160945.jpg

20230717_160956.jpg

20230717_161125.jpg

20230717_161619.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks like you have double French Windows, with rebate.

If it does not engage in the keep, it is usually because they are out of alignment due to sagging. Check the hinges for tightness.

You appear to have a Narrow Stile Sashlock, with rebate kit added. The rebate kit looks flimsy.

There are a few suitable locks around, I am only familiar with the Lever Lock type (not the Eurocylinder that you have). You door looks old and probably had a Legge originally.

A garden door seldom needs a keyhole on the outside.

Take yours out and measure it. It probably has a 2" case but there are a few even smaller. Metric are probably 50mm

Measure in all dimensions, and look in the hole to see if the mortice is a different size. Also measure the backset (distance from centre of keyhole to front of fascia plate). You may find it was made in inches and fractions, or in mm.

Do you have tubular rack bolts top and bottom of both doors? They are pretty essential.

1689608611379.png

The screws are probably metric M4 Pozi Countersunk Stainless about 8mm long (countersunk screw lengths are measured to include the head)

Last edited:
MartyJ
That is a Euro Cylinder Lock.

It is likley/possible that only the key section (the Euro Cylinder Lock) is broken (or prehaps misalligned).

Video here on how to replace the Euro Cylinder Lock from the door.

The Euro Cylinder Lock section has to be removed (along with bar between the door handles) before you and pull out the internal latch mechanism.

Once you have that slid out send a new pciture and we can tell you what size it is liley to be.

Picture here of what it will loook like (this is likley to be the wrong size).

SFK

Last edited:
Brilliant, thanks both, will dismantle today and get some dimensions.

As an aside, is there a way I can get notifications to replies on here? Thought I'd get an email or something so missed these last night

Sponsored Links
It is likely/possible that only the key section (the Euro Cylinder Lock) is broken (or prehaps misalligned).

I think not, if it works when the door is open.

As an aside, is there a way I can get notifications to replies on here? Thought I'd get an email or something so missed these last night
If you scroll to the top of the thread there is a 'Watch' tab that if you click on you should get notifications, however sometimes it just doesn't work.

Just to update, with the case temporarily removed, it appears prolonged slamming of the door (by wonderful kids) had twisted some parts. With the latch removed the lock now fully engages. Obviously not a permanent fix but for now allows the door to open/closed and be locked. We plan to replace the door in the next 12-24m so it should do as a fix for now.

Reactions: SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back