uPVC door lock only opens with key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My mother in law has uPVC french doors with no centre column at the back of the house. She had a tradey out a few months back to realign the doors and he's made some sort of adjustment to the Yale multi-point lock. Previously it worked in what I consider to be standard - Turn key to lock/unlock, pull handle down to open, push handle up to engage lock. Now the door locks whenever it is closed and can only be opened using the key (pushing handle up still engages the lock).

I've been having a nose around today and noticed that the latch (tongue?) is protruding further than I'd expect. When you turn the handle it only retracts the latch halfway, you have to turn the key to fully retract it (photos show me pushing it in to illustrate what I mean).

Is there a way to adjust the latch so it doesn't protrude so far? Or do I need to switch the strike plate on the opposite door for a different style? She's already been locked out once so we'd like to return it to standard. They weren't very happy with the tradey so don't want to bring him back out. My father in law reckons we have to replace the whole locking system, which I can do if necessary.

Attachments

• 20230610_142216.jpg
    20230610_142216.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230610_142219.jpg
    20230610_142219.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230610_142222.jpg
    20230610_142222.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Oh, I've checked the spindle and it's a normal single piece spindle, not a split piece or anything like that.

I have a door just like this and it is incredibly annoying.

I'm hoping you get a solution to this.

Sounds like hes adjusted it too far over. That's only a latch in your pic though and should retract as soon as you pull the handle down. If it has centre screws in the latch you may be able to tighten them, they do come loose over time , other than that no , no adjustment with the gearbox for any of those latches. Either readjustment or a new gearbox I suspect

Sponsored Links
Sounds like hes adjusted it too far over. That's only a latch in your pic though and should retract as soon as you pull the handle down. If it has centre screws in the latch you may be able to tighten them, they do come loose over time , other than that no , no adjustment with the gearbox for any of those latches. Either readjustment or a new gearbox I suspect
Thanks for the feedback. There was a centre screw but it's already tightened as far as it can go. The only thing I can think of is that he replaced the lock gearbox for some reason.

Oh well, guess I'll have to measure up for a new lock. Not the worst job but was hoping for a quick fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back