Upvc door handle needs swearing at to lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Upvc patio doors in my house are a pain to lock. I have to not only hold the handle up but really push it up hard to enable me turn the key to lock it. Question is what's worn, damaged or out of adjustment. I should surely just be able to shut the door, lift the handle to engage the mechanism, release the handle then turn the mey to lock. Any help welcome

Sponsored Links
Patio doors are sliding doors. Are you talking about patio doors or French doors?
In theory it should just be a bit of adjusting.

Are they under guarentee?
If not post some photos. Inside and out. Overall door inc the hinges

If a suitable lubricant doesn’t work the multipoint handle might need replacing. Either way this video will give you an idea what is involved if only so you are better informed when asking a tradesman to do it.

Blup

P.S have assumed you mean they are French doors

Blup

Sponsored Links
Fell at the first hurdle they're french doors. Pics attached

Attachments

• 20180622_162636.jpg
    20180622_162636.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 504
  • 20180622_162629.jpg
    20180622_162629.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 280
I expect the strike / hooks arent engaging in the strike plate, it stops the mechanism moving up enough for the euro cylinder lug to turn.

Easy to confirm - does the door handle raise and lock easily if done with door open.

As above if they operate and lock easily when in the open position then the doors have probably dropped and just need adjusting or "toe & healing"

They look pretty new, Will the fitters not come back and adjust them under guarantee? Best to give them a shout first.
Its a 10min job for someone who knows what they are doing

I suspected that as the bottom of the door wasnt fitting up and engaging the latch to pull it in. Ive adjusted that but no difference. If i open the door and try to lock its exactly the same. Cheers for response so far. Im a curious guy so like to tackle this myself if possible

Next thing to do is take off the handle and lock and see if the lock works ok on the ground

is it the slave or master door causing the problem? it looks like both have a lock and handle

I would think its the slave? The master works fine. The fault lies with the door you can open without having to unlock or open the other so take it thats the slave

I would think its the slave? The master works fine. The fault lies with the door you can open without having to unlock or open the other so take it thats the slave

That would be the master door, The main door that is used most often.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back