Need help on lining internal wall made of concrete.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, just found this forum while searching for a solution to a problem so I hope someone can help me. I'm not a particularly savvy DIY person so apologise if my question is too basic.

We have a 1 1/2 story home with part of the bottom story sitting below driveway level on one side. We recently noticed that there was a leak inside on the opposite side of the wall where our outside drain was. Carpet was mouldy and skirting and wallboards are saturated and are mouldy too. So I need to obviously fix this up.

I pulled off the part of the lining to try and find the problem and found polythene, immediately followed by a concrete wall (There was no framing between lining and concrete). Lining was just hardboard (What we call it here in NZ); it's a thin brown board. I can't obviously see the source of the problem but I assume some water is trickling down from outside, through the concrete and out the other side.

Now this is the approach I want to take so I hope someone can tell me if there's something else I should do, or if this will work.

• I'll remove all the lining.
    Patch up any gaps and holes in the concrete so as to stop any further encroachment of water.
    Find and patch the problem with the drain outside too of course.
    Replace the polythene.
    Attach Gib Aqualine (Plasterboard in the US I think it's called)
    Add skirting and decorate.

Is there anything else I should do as well/instead of what I have planned?

Thanks again and hope someone can give me some guidance.

Cheers
Aaron

Sponsored Links
You are doing the right thing by sourcing and repairing the wall where water ingress is occurring.
I don't know the systems used in NZ and what your country's buildings are constructed of or the requirement of thermal insulation to stop condensation.
So heres a link, I'm sure these products will be available to you, if not under the same names.
http://www.insulation.kingspan.com/uk/pdf/tw55.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back