Need help to find a type of door latch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

The problem: I have a pair of wooden french doors, leading to the garden. The left door is secured by two lever action flush bolts at the top and bottom, and the right door has a standard 5-lever sashlock which engages with the left door.

So far, so ordinary. The problem is that in order to form a proper draughtproof seal, the doors need to be pulled closed tightly against the frame, and the bolts and lock don't do that.

What I would like is some kind of lock or catch that I can fit to the door or frame that will use a lever action to engage and pull the door tightly shut. Preferably something that doesn't need huge amounts of rebating / routing / other joinery work to fit (though a little bit is not a problem).

I can't find anything like this on any of the ironmongery sites though. Do such things exist? Can anyone suggest something suitable, or suggest a name of something to look for?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that suggestion, however I am particularly looking for something that doesn't need a key to operate, and which actually pulls the door tight as it is engaged. Maybe something like the catches that are used with UPVC doors, but which can be fitted to wooden units.

Sponsored Links
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

The problem: I have a pair of wooden french doors, leading to the garden. The left door is secured by two lever action flush bolts at the top and bottom, and the right door has a standard 5-lever sashlock which engages with the left door.

So far, so ordinary. The problem is that in order to form a proper draughtproof seal, the doors need to be pulled closed tightly against the frame, and the bolts and lock don't do that.

What I would like is some kind of lock or catch that I can fit to the door or frame that will use a lever action to engage and pull the door tightly shut. Preferably something that doesn't need huge amounts of rebating / routing / other joinery work to fit (though a little bit is not a problem).

I can't find anything like this on any of the ironmongery sites though. Do such things exist? Can anyone suggest something suitable, or suggest a name of something to look for?
I have the same set up and doors fit snugly, you doors need rehanging as they should fit correctly , door handles won't solve the problem, only correct fitting will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back