Need help wiring a new digital thermostat

Sponsored Links
D_H has the patience of a saint, he will doggedly help on posts where my tolerance has long expired.

To elicit that response from him, you must be exceptionally talented.

To the OP, you wrote this....

Hi,

I thought it would be C = 1 (which should be live), ON = 3 (which is a switch i think) and OFF = 2 (which i think is neutral). However I tried this and the fuse blows?

Thanks

Marc

Then wrote this....
it does not blow any fuses wired as above. the boiler does not come on though

Well, thats me confused and I'm fully sobre now.

Mr. W

Sponsored Links
Can't you just put the old stat back for now? At least you'll have heat (if it was working before you decided to change it).

Mr. W.

It's only got 3 kin wires, how difficult can it be after marking them from what the old ones were connected to :evil: :evil:

ok,

so today i bought a basic dial based room thermostat (non programmable) wired it up and it works just fine.

It had normal connections too! i.e live, neutral and switch. there was non of this C, ON & OFF.

are programmable thermostats definitely compatible with open vented systems that have a seperate honeywell HW and CH timer upstairs in the boiler cupboard???

Thanks for all the help to those that provided it. sorry i broke your "golden" rule about posted a message twice - how dare I!

marc

ok,

so today i bought a basic dial based room thermostat (non programmable) wired it up and it works just fine.

It had normal connections too! i.e live, neutral and switch. there was non of this C, ON & OFF.

are programmable thermostats definitely compatible with open vented systems that have a seperate honeywell HW and CH timer upstairs in the boiler cupboard???

Thanks for all the help to those that provided it. sorry i broke your "golden" rule about posted a message twice - how dare I!

marc

As I keep telling you, you don't need the neutral in the digistat. Just the C & ON, it can't be much easier.

You can post as many threads as you like, but it gets disjointed and we loose track of what the hell you've done or why.

Keeping everything in the same thread then we can follow it. :rolleyes:

It is quite simple really, (although I do it for a living so should find it easy)
the live to the stat (your brown) goes to C on your digi, ON is power back to boiler or valve (your green & yellow) tag it with a brown flag, your blue is neutral so make it safe as it isn't required.
As for repeating posts, you are lucky you weren't banned from the forum. :evil: ;)

OK, in that case the digital thermostat is faulty. i shall exchange it tommorow and let you know of my success

Today I bought a basic dial based room thermostat (non programmable) wired it up and it works just fine.

are programmable thermostats definitely compatible with open vented systems that have a separate Honeywell HW and CH timer upstairs in the boiler cupboard???
If only you had mentioned this earlier. :rolleyes: It probably explains why the stat doesn't always work.

Is the live coming directly from the CH ON terminal of the Honeywell timer? If so, you have two timers in series; you only need one - the Digistat. There are two ways round this: (a) Set the Honeywell timer to Continuous; (b) move the connection from the CH ON terminal to a permanent live terminal. Method (b) is preferable.

Use the brown and blue and terminate the earth wire. The earth should not be used as a live conductor.

As above, earth should not be used as a conductor, it is shoddy workmanship and, I would guess, contrary to the latest wiring regs.

To the OP, you wrote this....

Hi,

I thought it would be C = 1 (which should be live), ON = 3 (which is a switch i think) and OFF = 2 (which i think is neutral). However I tried this and the fuse blows?

Thanks

Marc

Then wrote this....
it does not blow any fuses wired as above. the boiler does not come on though

Well, thats me confused and I'm fully sobre now.

Mr. W

so..... I'm guessing you've fried it.
As PVM says, 2 wires. How the hell you can get that wrong is beyond me.
Live and call. No Neutral - digistats dont use an anticipator.

Mr. W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back