Need help wiring a new digital thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

hi i am replacing an old honeywell thermostat with a drayton digistat +3. I cannot work out waht wires need to go where though.

Attached is the old wiring diagram. I have a brown wire in position 1, a blue in position 2 and a yellow/green in position 3.

on the new stat should this be:

C = Brown I1)
ON = Blue (2)
Off = yellow/green (3)??????

Thanks Marc

Sponsored Links
Brown on 1 and blue on 3.

Don't connect the earth unless it's being used as a switch wire, in which case post more information.

Noooooooo, the yellow and green has been used as a "switch wire" and should have been marked.

The brown will be the live in
The blue will be a Neutral
The Green/yellow will be the switched live out of the stat.

Just connect up the new stat using the brown as live in, the Green/yellow live out, and the blue to neutral.

Thanks, so I dont connect anything to the ON terminal?

I cant work out if the earth is a switch or not. However on the old honeywell thermostat i noticed where both these connected (positions 2&3)they seem to come togther into a single feed so maybe they are both neutral? i.e the back of the thermostat looks like this:

1------------------------------Thermostat control

2----------
--------------------Thermostat control
3----------

Marc

Sponsored Links
OK thanks for the below:

Just connect up the new stat using the brown as live in, the Green/yellow live out, and the blue to neutral.

however...which is live in, which is live out and which is neutral??I have a choice of C, ON & OFF?

happy new year BTW...

The wire that was on 3 in the old stat is the switch wire, 3 in the new stat

Noooo, the little boxs on the lines from the Neutral line to 3 and 4 are the "load" "appliances"

The number 2 terminal on your T6160 is a Neutral "preheat" to make the stat more sensetive.

thanks all,

just tried that...it sort of worked but as soon as I turned the thermostat down to swicth the boiler off it blew the fuse in the plug (there is a signle plug that power everything)???

any ideas why it would blow the fuse.

to confirm:

Brown = C
Yellow/green = ON
Blue = OFF

The Drayton digistat 3 doesn't have or need a a neutral wire. :rolleyes:

Whichever wire connected to 3 in the old stat needs to be connected to 3 in the new stat, the 3rd wire should be made safe, and not connected.

So lets assume the blue is neutral. the brown goes to 1 (com) and the earth should be sleeved red and connected to 3, (on) the blue should be made safe with a connector block.

The Drayton digistat 3 doesn't have or need a a neutral wire. :rolleyes:

Whichever wire connected to 3 in the old stat needs to be connected to 3 in the new stat, the 3rd wire should be made safe, and not connected.

So lets assume the blue is neutral. the brown goes to 1 (com) and the earth should be sleeved red and connected to 3, (on) the blue should be made safe with a connector block.

The blue went to no2 on his T6160 so it had to be a neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back