Wiring questions - installing new thermostat

I think it's a great discussion and clearly quite important as far as the htg guys are concerned.

My gut feeling says it's normal practice and acceptable. :cool:

It is a good discussion and as I mentioned earlier I would have argued the toss with you too had I seen this thread earlier

I have always been of the mind set that you shouldn't use the earth in a multicore in case someone breaks into it upstream and taps into the earth
Its common sense to me and so I don't do it.
but if there is nothing prohibiting you from doing that then that's not for me to argue, I still think its good practice not to though for the reason I've just given
I'm just glad that most of the heating controls I do are ELV ;)

Matt

Sponsored Links
But why would anyone want to cut a chunk out of the cable going to the programmer, or boiler, or the washing machine for that matter.

Or is someone suggesting you could hard wire the new plasma TV to the room stat. :LOL:

But why would anyone want to cut a chunk out of the cable going to the programmer, or boiler, or the washing machine for that matter.

Or is someone suggesting you could hard wire the new plasma TV to the room stat. :LOL:

aye in hindsight you're correct, never much need these days to have to cut into cables to find an earth to utilise
I'll try to move with the times lol

ps still not gonna do it though as too old and set in me ways!

It has been drummed into us as long as I can remember yellow/green is for earth only with the one only exception to the rule where if it has a blue sleeve it can be used as the PEN conductor. Which is earth anyway in real terms.

I states shall not be over-marked at their terminations so clearly sticking any sleeving on it is not permitted.

Although one should test things to test one needs a reference and that reference is earth. So to do anything to a yellow/green cable to raise it away for earth potential is extremely dangerous.

To test for dead the reference is earth. That is the starting point for all tests. So it is near impossible to test if an earth is in fact earth without using an earth rod test set and installing an new reference point.

The stance make by Doitallwrong may be seen as a bit of fun by some but this could cost some ones life with posts even suggesting an earth wire could be over sleeved.

Sponsored Links
And I think you are wrong ericmark.

I have/am also contacted the regulator for an official ruling.

If you think it's fun and clear cut, why are the regulators replies conflicting.

Should we go for a majority vote, or as I expected unanimous.

As it stands it depends which body you are registered with, as to whether I'm right or you are right. :rolleyes:

Still think it's fun.

Ericmarks is forgetting one thing.

Look in a wiring center and find a bundle of different wires.

Over-sleeve the green/yellow with Black, and it looks like a black phase wire, now any spark with a brain seeing a black sleeved wire in a live terminal would know it ain't an earth, no more than if he saw a blue cable over-sleeved with black.

It has been drummed into us as long as I can remember yellow/green is for earth only with the one only exception to the rule where if it has a blue sleeve it can be used as the PEN conductor. Which is earth anyway in real terms.

Drummed into me too

I states shall not be over-marked at their terminations so clearly sticking any sleeving on it is not permitted.

That's for single core cables, nothing saying it's not permitted for multicores (although it may be disallowed by virtue of 412.2.3.2 )

Although one should test things to test one needs a reference and that reference is earth. So to do anything to a yellow/green cable to raise it away for earth potential is extremely dangerous.

but if a green/yellow coloured cable core has been over sleeved and is now in fact brown over the visible length of it's termination would you just blindly use that as a reference to earth?
I don't think so

To test for dead the reference is earth. That is the starting point for all tests. So it is near impossible to test if an earth is in fact earth without using an earth rod test set and installing an new reference point.

that statement also holds true for earth cables correctly identified and connected, so I fail to see the point

The stance make by Doitallwrong may be seen as a bit of fun by some but this could cost some ones life with posts even suggesting an earth wire could be over sleeved.

but in some instances it can be over sleeved

To use green/yellow cable for anything other than earth or a PEN conductor (with blue sleeve) is asking to be detained at her majesties pleasure.

You can't use PEN without permission from the Secretary of State as outlined in the ESQCR ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back