Wiring questions - installing new thermostat

Connecting an EARTH wire to a live terminal is going to end up with either a dead thermostat, or someone else who has the misfortune to work on this wiring being killed.
If it's sleeved or taped red I don't see the problem, and in any case if you know what you are doing you will be able to relate to the numbers the wires are connected too.
How do you propose to install insulation on the uninsulated wire through the length of the cable ?

Sponsored Links
You can't try and pass the buck like that. If you knew how to drive you wouldn't need a seatbelt or airbag in your car. What a ridiculous statement to make.

The fact that you don't see the problem just shows you shouldn't be advising anything to do with electrical work.

It's not about ideal world conditions it is the most basic of electrical safety principals.

There's millions like it and I assume most are past and signed off by some official money grabber.

Connecting an EARTH wire to a live terminal is going to end up with either a dead thermostat, or someone else who has the misfortune to work on this wiring being killed.
If it's sleeved or taped red I don't see the problem, and in any case if you know what you are doing you will be able to relate to the numbers the wires are connected too.
How do you propose to install insulation on the uninsulated wire through the length of the cable ?

One would take an intelligent guess and say if it was green and yellow it isn't uninsulated.

The OP has said where they were connected and the rest is simple.

If someone came on here with a gas supply plumbed in in hosepipe would you tell them to crack on as that's what's there or would you tell them they currently have a dangerous installation which needs to be put right before continuing any further?

Sponsored Links

One would take an intelligent guess and say if it was green and yellow it isn't uninsulated.

Have you never heard of earth sleeving?

I don't know about plumbing, but working by guesswork is NOT the way we do electrical work.

Although likely Brown to A and Blue to B .

What have you got to say about a sparky telling the DIYer to use the neutral as a switch wire.

Nothing about swapping it in the boiler you'll note.

I have nothing to say. He made a mistake. Maybe he misread the OP, but he was corrected, and that's the end of it.

I don't know about plumbing, but working by guesswork is NOT the way we do electrical work.
:mrgreen:

Have you ever seen an uninsulated earth wire painted green and yellow. :mrgreen:

I have nothing to say. He made a mistake. Maybe he misread the OP, but he was corrected, and that's the end of it.

Thats all right then because he's a sparky that knows what he's doing. :LOL:

Would have made an interesting bang when he took the PCB out.

You can't try and pass the buck like that. If you knew how to drive you wouldn't need a seatbelt or airbag in your car. What a ridiculous statement to make.

The fact that you don't see the problem just shows you shouldn't be advising anything to do with electrical work.

It's not about ideal world conditions it is the most basic of electrical safety principals.

There's millions like it and I assume most are past and signed off by some official money grabber.

It doesn't matter how many installations there are like it, or even if it's been signed off. Have you never seen a dangerous boiler istallation which has been signed off?

If it's wrong and unsafe it needs to be put right. Just because you can't understand why[/] it's dangerous, does not mean it's ok to leave it.

I might as well start giving advice on boiler flues with no gas training and telling people their flues are ok "because it looks alright to me".

A sleeved green and yellow is just as safe as any other colour and you know it.

By my reckoning I would say you'll need to rewire at least 80% of every boiler in the land.

Of course it's not right, but then I check before I touch and believe it or not so does every sparky I know.

A sleeved green and yellow is just as safe as any other colour and you know it.
And there we have absolute proof that you are a dangerous, ignorant fool.

By my reckoning I would say you'll need to rewire at least 80% of every boiler in the land.
Why - is that how many you've done?

Of course it's not right, but then I check before I touch and believe it or not so does every sparky I know.
That's not the point, but there isn't a hope in hell that you would ever understand that.

Hello BASYou gonnapost 3 pagesof regs now you know you want too :mrgreen:

Good to see your just an ignorant abusive bum as always. How many forums have you been banned from now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back