Need help wiring two lights and a double switch

p56

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
for a while now my two front room lights have run from just one dimmer switch but ive bought a double dimmer switch to put in instead, but i dont understand how the wiring goes: it seems like the lighting circuit starts from the front room:

dsc00245wy3ja0lw4.jpg

this is the switch..

dsc00244ky2wo0.jpg

i dont understand what the blue, yellow and red wires do...

Sponsored Links
With the greatest of respect. How on earth are we supposed to know?
I assume the first picture is of one of the ceiling lights?
What about a pic of the other?
I assume the second pic is of the light switch position?

Is there another switch that operates these lights as well??

I think I can make out what MIGHT be going on but more info is needed.

PLEASE tell me that you made a note of what wires went where before you took it all apart?

PS if its wired like I think then you've got no chance of splitting the two ceiling lights onto separate dimmers. Not without some major re-wiring of the room.

PPS When you say "all live" how do you mean. Live with respect to waht? Each other, wrt earth, neutral, your finger???

Wow, big pictures.

The Red/Yellow/Blue cable at your switch is usually used to go to another switch. Is there another switch?

I guess you are wanting to split the wiring so your 2 gang switch controls 2 different lights. Can you do another photo of the other light fitting. I'm guessing you will need to be running another cable in to do what you want anyway but without seeing the full picture it's hard for anyone to give advise.

By the way, your camera is still on summer time. :LOL:

Wow, big pictures.

The Red/Yellow/Blue cable at your switch is usually used to go to another switch. Is there another switch?

no, there isnt anything else (although i did forget what cables went where in the switch origonally now :oops: ) in my defense i didnt think it would be such a drama..

I guess you are wanting to split the wiring so your 2 gang switch controls
yes thats correct..

2 different lights. Can you do another photo of the other light fitting.

dsc00247dv3.jpg

I'm guessing you will need to be running another cable in to do what you want anyway but without seeing the full picture it's hard for anyone to give advise.

By the way, your camera is still on summer time. :LOL:

thanks for your help, i just hope i havent made more work for myself here :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I suggest you replace the light and the switch, and spend a bit of time learning how lighting circuits are wired, and how switches fit in.

Once you know how it all works, then armed with your multimeter you'll be able to identify the purpose of all the wires at the switch and the light...

Can you do another photo of the other light fitting

Are u taking the pi55?

I know what a bloomin light fitting looks like. Its the WIRES hanging out of the ceiling that that go to the other light fitting....

What are they, what colours??

Yep he did :LOL:
OP - is there another light which operated at the same time as this lamp?
The wiring suggests there is another switch which also operates this light.

ban-all-sheds was right (i have replaced the pic, sorry i mistook what you meant :LOL:

Spark123

yes theres two sets of lights..

When I looked at the post there was a picture of a stuffing light fitting, not the wires - he's swopped the picture on me :evil:

When I looked at the post there was a picture of a stuffing light fitting, not the wires - he's swopped the picture on me :evil:

sorry Taylortwocities but i did say that ive changed the pic to the one you meant...

ive got a little bit closer to knowing what im doing here but im still unsure, can anyone help pls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back