Need help with broken 3 pin replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I bought set of photoshoot lighting tripod and the pin is broken as my friend tried to force it in.

Any chance I can replace it? doesn't matter if it's not fix into the box. I will isolate the wires properly.

sadly i don't know the technical name for it so couldn't find anything online.

Secondly, how can I find out between L and N when installing the new part? I don't have the test kit. Do I have to buy one? as it's a cheap product, it has no marking on the wires.

Thank you.

Apologies for not clear English.

IMG_8522.jpg
IMG_8521.jpg

Sponsored Links
That looks like an IEC lead.
You need a MALE IEC Socket
Can you identify the holes that the metal conductors came out from? (by looking at the hole shape/damage in a jigsaw way)

This assumes that the equipment is compliant with UK regs - the socket should be mains IN

Can you identify the holes that the metal conductors came out from? (by looking at the hole shape/damage in a jigsaw way)
kavehh - important that you do that before you get rid of the bits - you should keep L & N the right way round....

BTW - what on earth did your with-friends-like-that-etc try to force into the connector? :eek:

Sponsored Links
If you look closely at the markings on the connector, you may find a manufactures name such as Bulgin or Schurter which might help narrow down your search.

cpc.co.uk
uk.farnell.com
rswww.com

...are all likely suppliers.

Does it matter?

Surely, the fuse will be in the line on the supply cable.

If the product is designed for the general European market, then no, it won't matter because it will be designed for use non polarised mains plugs.

Does it matter?

Surely, the fuse will be in the line on the supply cable.

I was thinking of switches in the thing, but of course it might also contain internal fusing.

But Robin's point is a good one - I didn't think about that.

If the product is designed for the general European market, then no, it won't matter because it will be designed for use non polarised mains plugs.
Well, yes, but that applies to almost everything and is nothing to do with a connector on the supply cable.

The OPD is still on the line conductor as it will be when a British fused plug is fitted.

I hadn't thought about switches, but aren't neutrals allowed to be switched on internal wiring?

I hadn't thought about switches, but aren't neutrals allowed to be switched on internal wiring?

Yes, although double pole switching is preferred unless there is a sound reason for not doing so. Most mechanical switching in portable appliances these days is double pole but switching with triacs and similar electronic devices may be in either pole.

This variation just emphasizes that it cannot matter which way round European products are wired and that there cannot be different products for different countries, and Britain is not the only odd one out.

Hi everyone

I received the pin but have to no ida what wire to attach to N and L
There is no marking on the wires

What’s the worst thing that is going to happen if the
A3DDEE0B-A494-4C24-A1AA-588122E7DB59.jpeg
wires are attached to L and N?

P.s. I don’t have any device to check the wires

As previously asked, can you not tell by the broken bits on the old one which pin came from which side?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back