Need help with Waste&Trap replacement-bad smell from U s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I am back with another request for help.!

after I found the area around sink were stinking, I found some leakage around the pipe(shown on the photo). I tightened it up as much as I could and it seems its not leaking anymore.

However, the bad smell still arising from kitchen sink and most probably its from the U pipe.

I would be grateful if I could have the screwfix parts i need to change the whole system and avoid having a U shape bend as it most probably will cuz bad smell to come from the sink drainage

A little bit guide of where to cut the pipe would be great.

Would like to thank you for dedicating time helping me over come this situation

Best

Sponsored Links
These multiple input traps are shyte.

The smell is probably coming from the dishwasher. . When was the last time it had a proper clean, on a boil cycle with cleaner?

When I did our kitchen and utility room, I gave every appliance its own trap. . Even the water softener.

These multiple input traps are shyte.

The smell is probably coming from the dishwasher. . When was the last time it had a proper clean, on a boil cycle with cleaner?

When I did our kitchen and utility room, I gave every appliance its own trap. . Even the water softener.

Thank you for reply. DIsh washer is clean. I agree, the plumber did a very quick and nasty job hence I want to change the whole system.

the pipe wasnt cut properly thats why it started to leak. i sealed it with some nylon wrapped around the pipe.

Is it safe to use strong acid ? the drain runs on my conservatory wall so having leak on the way to drainage is least I desire. Any other solution that can clean the inside the pipe?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, that's not a very clever setup at all. I take it the string is basically holding all that together?

Not surprised it smells. Pretty badly manufactured plastic fittings by the looks of it. You may also be getting smells up the sink waste from the washing machine/dwasher. Those collars screw down to compress a rubber seal, has the seal been damaged by that pipe being cut badly?

You can't get rid of the P trap but it should come apart to be cleaned easily. You can install more effective/better quality waste pipe but needs a bit of re-jigging from the looks of it.

As above.

The trap and is tilted to the right hand so that some of the sink waste dirty water is going into the D/W waste.

The D/W waste should come down from high to connect to the trap - lift the D/W waste & pin it to the underside of the W/T. By coming in low its retaining some dirty water. Always run it high never low.

I would, as suggested above, replace the multi-trap with a more conventional arrangement, & connect the D/W waste to a spigot. FWIW: where's the W/M waste?

If the red marked trap arm connection is leaking, is it because the elbow is short? You cannot lift the connection because you have no room for vertical adjustment with that trap.

The whole set-up is a ramshackle amateur plumbing eg. dirty soldering, mixed fittings, disorganised lay-out.

The rough cab back cut-outs are wet looking & condensation is on the wall plaster.

Do not use any acid or any other drain cleaner - its dangerous.

Thank you all for input. Thank you Ree for detailed reply.

Would you please clarify on D/W and W/T so I can locate them?

I know it maybe too much to ask but any chance you could draw a sample plan on piece of paper and send it to [email protected] if thats not hassle.

I will be changing the whole thing this week. I got rid of smell by cleaning it but might as well do a proper job. I will learn something too.

You right. the small comes out of the sink and its not pleasant.

I noted your suggestion of always run it high. I just didnt catch the second sentence of your reply much.

Appreciate all your help. Going to screwfix now.

Do you have twin sink bowls, often smaller is not used much and smells, regular use of boiling water and a touch of bleach keep it clean.[I always pour any hot water left after boiling a kettle down the sink to keep it clear, also slows scale build up in kettle].
D/W hose should rise immediately after connection to sink to prevent siphoning back into D/W.

I am planning to do the job tomorrow. Do you mind checking this page and tell me what items I require to replace the whole system. I will spend time jiggling the pipes to make them perfect fit. Adjustable ones seems to make the job easier.

I have a double sink. boiler condensation pipe and washing machine pipe.

http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=waste+traps#brand=floplast|mcalpine

I really appreciate your guys help

I have chosen to go with McAlpine.

Thank you all

A few pictures showing the whole of the cupboard and bottom of the sinks etc would be helpful

Hello Rob,

I am looking forward to hear from you about the parts I need in order to change the whole system (screwfix)

I am leaving the property in 3 days and need to have it done for tenants to move in :)

Thank you for your consideration

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back