need info on summerhouses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thinking of buying a 10 by 8ft summerhouse for my daugher are they safe to sleep in her friend has been living in hers for 2 yrs due to lack of space in her house she has electricity bed tv and a heater in it do they need ventilation also whats the best way to insulate it keep it warm if anyone has any pic of inside summerhouses i woull love to see them i have been looking online the pic dont really show inside of them

Sponsored Links
thinking of buying a 10 by 8ft summerhouse for my daugher are they safe to sleep in

a summer house is basically a fancy garden shed!.would you let your daughter sleep in a garden shed?.........your decision.

do they need ventilation also whats the best way to insulate it keep it warm

insulation, vapour barrier, plasterboard, ventilation, electrical instalations, heating....cost a small fortune!.

a summer house is basically a fancy garden shed!..

(with a few more windows)

8x6-apex-std-l.gif
Shed

8x10-summer-house-l.gif
summerhouse

I lived in a shed when I was a teenager it was great :D

Sponsored Links
Same here and I loved it. My older brother used to keep pigeons in it beforehand. Me and my pals slept in it through the summer holidays, happy days :D

thanks for you comments and pictures i dont know what to do my daughter is a typical 15yr old she has been begging me for a summmerhouse i know it will cost a lot of money to insulate it and wire it up iam looking forward to more comments on this subject if its a no no i will just get summerhouse for all the family to enjoy well atleast i got 3 good comments on happy memories from living in shed :LOL:

Buy a shed and tell your daughter its a summerhouse. or if you must put some more windows in a shed.

Just a point to note - depending on how high it is and where in your garden you're planning to put it you may need planning permission for it!

thinking of buying a 10 by 8ft summerhouse for my daugher are they safe to sleep in
IMO, I would say no. You must also think about fire risks or break in. As a parents I wouldn't let any of my children sleeping in the summerhouse.
It's best to check with BCO regarding the sleeping accommodation regulations

You can see that we have all slept in garden sheds and things without heating and not come to any harm. Usually during the summer.
If you want to insulate your shed then visit Wicks, they sell polystyrene sheets at one, two or four inches thick, it is not expensive and you can cut it to size with a bread knife and stick it to the walls and ceiling.
Uncovered polystyrene is very warm and their body heat will keep the place warm enough.
Where they may flatten it, fix 9mm ply over to keep them away, say up to about four feet high.
For safety let them have a torch for lighting unless you feel happy with mains lighting.

i would pay the money and get electricity in sumeerhouse thanks for info will go have a look in wicks this week

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back