need painting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have painted my walls with 3 coats 'Johnstones' matt wall and ceiling paint.I actually painted over the wallpaper that was there because I just recently came out of hospital and wanted to get it out of the way asap. After a while, once it dried, it has gone all streaky and patchy. When I first painted it, it looked really good but after a week or two the marks showed up. Probably the chemicals in the paper or the paste, I don't know.
Having read some of the posts on 'diynot', I can tell that some of the people who visit here are pro' painters and decorators. I really need some advice on how I can paint my walls without stripping off all that paper and going back to square one. I put already 3 cans at £15 each(1 can per coat). I need a quick fix as for one thing I'm not too well and secondly, owing to so much time in hospital, my cash flow is a bit tight.
Surely the 3 coats I already applied must count for something. Is their something I can apply that will seal the walls preventing this, whatever it is, from bleeding through any more so I can put a finishing coat of matt.
I will keep an eye out to see if anyone has been kind enough to give me some advice .
Thanks in anticipation, django47(micky).

Sponsored Links
You may have more luck if you move this to painting and decorating, the guys in there really know their stuff. Ask the Mods and they'll do if for you.

K

After all the trouble I had trying to paint a wall. I was going to pay a decorator to strip everything off, make good and paint it. He looked at it and asked what paint I was using, and after I told him, he said, "I think you will find thats the problem, I never use it".
So on his instructions I went to B&Q and bought 2.5lt of 'Trade' Dulux and he applied a slightly watered down coat with roller and it looks fantastic. I am so pleased because now I can lay my laminate boards and try out my circular saw I got at a boot sale

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back