1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

painting fresh plaster

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by cliftons, 12 Jul 2012.

1. cliftons

cliftons

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello.

I've started to paint a newly skimmed room and wonder if anyone can provide me with some advice.....

The room was skimmed 3 weeks ago so is now dry. I've applied a first coat of Fortress Trade Professional Contract Matt White but didn't watered it down. When you look down the wall the paint looks really patchy. Is this usual for a first coat? If not what should I have done and how can I put it right so the room will have a neat finish when other coats are painted?

Any advice would be really appreciated.....

2. TheDec

TheDec

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The first application will always produce a patchy finish, you should have thinned the contract around 15 to 20%. lightly sand the walls and dust off then carry on with your finish coats thinning by around 5%, and you should be fine.

Dec

3. Sponsored Links
  4. TheDec

TheDec

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The first application will always produce a patchy finish, you should have thinned the contract around 15 to 20%. lightly sand the walls and dust off then carry on with your finish coats thinning by around 5%, and you should be fine.

Dec

5. cliftons

cliftons

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Dec.

I apologise for asking a stupid question in advance but would you recommend putting another coat of Contract on, thinned to 5%, before putting the final colour on top or just apply the final colour thinned to 5%?

I hope that makes sense!

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links