Need some advice about driveway drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents have recently had a driveway laid with new drainage but I'm not too happy with one of the piping solutions the builders come up with.

He's installed this in the driveway

ACO_RainDrain_with_Galvanised_Steel_Grating_1m.jpg

draining into something like this below it

gutter%2002_zps3xlstznn.jpg

the sketch below shows it working in section.

A few things worry me:

1) If the trap gets blocked I can't access it easily to clean it.
2) If it overflows, the water (a lot in a storm) will go into the ground and foundations maybe causing ground swell or soil erosion.
3) If it does overflow It will not be apparent as it's underground so it could go unnoticed for years.

What i wanted to do was what is shown in the bottom half of the sketch, fit a collar to raise the hopper to ground level then find some way to join the surface drain to the side of it.

My question for you guys, if you can help, is do you know of any way to create this joint or of any proporietry systems designed to connect up like this?

gutter_zpsmkdcclqp.jpg

Sponsored Links
Should be a 110mm spigot on the bottom of the channel drain, usually open up the outlet in the required position and connect to the drain. Depending on the gulley, it may be possible to use a 90 ° bend from the channel drain into the back inlet or side boss on the gulley, then use a raising piece to bring the gulley grid to finished level.

If the gulley has to be moved sideways to make the connection then use a couple of bends to alter the downpipe to meet new gulley position.

You don't need traps on storm water drains. That's just asking for trouble.

The outlet from the aco channel goes straight to the pipe and can be rodded from there also.

Should be a 110mm spigot on the bottom of the channel drain, usually open up the outlet in the required position and connect to the drain. Depending on the gulley, it may be possible to use a 90 ° bend from the channel drain into the back inlet or side boss on the gulley, then use a raising piece to bring the gulley grid to finished level.

If the gulley has to be moved sideways to make the connection then use a couple of bends to alter the downpipe to meet new gulley position.

That's another alternative to going straight into the side, I'll need to pick a gulley and do some measurments. To be honest I was hoping there were channel drains that could connect straight into a gulley without any faffing around.

Sponsored Links
You don't need traps on storm water drains. That's just asking for trouble.

The outlet from the aco channel goes straight to the pipe and can be rodded from there also.

I hadn't really considered that, I guess there aren't any odors on a storm drain, I was just replacing like with like as there was one there before.

I'm a bit 50/50 on this though, on the one hand I guess a trap will simply attract debris that would have otherwise been flushed away, on the other, if there is a blockage for any reason I'd rather it was in an easily reachable trap and not halfway down the pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back