Need some advice with a socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
So today I was changing a damaged socket for a new one. Simple job, inserted the wires where they should be, old style red, black and earth.
When switching the circuit back on on the consumer unit the breaker tripped straight away.
So, I went back to the socket, loosened it back off to check for any wire coming loose (which they hadn't).
With the socket loosened off I tried switching the power back on and this time it stayed on.
When fastening the socket back into place there was a nice pop and little bit of smoke (I'm guessing a short?).
So, my questions.
There is probably more copper showing than needed from the live and neutral, could this be the earth wire hitting the copper once its getting pushed back on and compressed?
If so should I trim it?
After this socket popped will it be okay to still use this one or will I need another new one?
The earth wire inside the socket is bare wire, should I cover it? If so, what is best to use?

Thank you in advance as I know this is a long post for a first post

Sponsored Links
Bare earth wire gets sleeved ,green and yellow pvc sleeving.
Show us some pics of wiring, check the mounting screws have not cut into the insulation.
Socket may or may not be able to be reused.
Power should be off when working on the socket ,even when screwing it back !

It used to be common practice for the earthwire to be bare.
It is sleeved for identification but also has the benefit of insulating conductors that might touch lightly.
Check to see that the socket fixing screws will not nip or graze a conductor when being fastened back.
Also check likewise that any screwheads of the screws that fix the backbox to the wall will not crush the conductors as the socket reaches its final position.
Have a good look at all of the conductors for evidence of this having been the problem.
Do all the above with the power off.

Sponsored Links
1)There is probably more copper showing than needed from the live and neutral, could this be the earth wire hitting the copper once its getting pushed back on and compressed?
YES
If so should I trim it?
YES - there should be no bare copper showing outside the terminals
After this socket popped will it be okay to still use this one or will I need another new one?
Probably OK - you should be able to see where the short was as there will be black marks and/or pits on the metal.
The earth wire inside the socket is bare wire, should I cover it? If so, what is best to use?
Yes, as noted in posts above - but if there is no excess copper exposed on the L & N connections there is little likelihood of a bare earth conductor touching anything other than earthed metal
As ebee says, you should also look at the possibility that you are trapping either L or N core when screwing the socket on - examine the insulation for cuts.

RCD or MCB?

If the main switch is just an isolation switch, it'll not trip, no matter what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back