Need some help on a Riello RDB3 oil burner please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

The boiler is a Grant Euroflame with a Riello RDB3 burner.

So, we ran out of oil this week. I have since put 160 litres of oil in the tank now and am waiting on my scheduled delivery next week to fill the damn thing up again. Bad timing....

But the bloody thing still won't fire up.

I presumed an air lock, so have bled the system by opening the allen screw in the "long bolt" at the bottom left of the burner until oil comes out when the pump kicks on.

I got very frustrated with this, and in the end used a vacuum brake bleeding tool to draw oil through, which worked well. So I know the oil is at least as far as the pump. If I crack the screw during the startup sequence, then oil bubbles out of it.

When I press the reset button, it seems that first the fan runs for about 12 seconds, then it sounds like the oil pump kicks on (and this is when oil will bubble out of the bleed screw if it's loose), there are assorted click noises, then after about 5 seconds it turns itself off.

I have tried disconnecting the photocell to see if it will ignite then, but that's also a no-go. Although I have been through several photocells with this boiler, I don't think that's the problem.

Anyway....kind of stuck now, with oil but no heating!

Does anyone know what to try next?

By the way, I am near Guildford in Surrey if there are any trades on here that would like to come and sort this out and service the boiler at the same time!

Many thanks,

Alasdair

Sponsored Links
Keep going till the bubbles cease and oil is flowing from bleed point when pump kicks in may take many resets.

Don't reset too many times it will goose the pump I think you need a new nozzle you've maybe got a bit of water through and it's emulsified on the filter of your nozzle.Bob

Thanks folks!

I tried bleeding it again this morning. Got some more bubbly oil out.....and it has just fired up and seems to be running. Must have been just more air in the feed line, although when I used the vacuum bleeder to pull oil through yesterday it didn't appear that way!

Sponsored Links
Don't reset too many times it will goose the pump I think you need a new nozzle you've maybe got a bit of water through and it's emulsified on the filter of your nozzle.Bob
The pump won't be goosed as it is not running dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back