Riello oil burner advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, first posting - looking for some advice on a riello oil burner, please bear with me. Just serviced and renwed photocell, and nozzle, set oil press. to 100 p.s.i. as recommended, but when the burner is 'firing up' it does not always ignite in the normal fashion. and seems to go through the whole phase again before igniting properly, this may occur several times before achieving normal running. I have checked the fuel supply -ok. the electrode -ok.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
What model of burner, riello make a lot of different burners. Could be control box, electrodes cracked, positioned wrong, leads to electrodes or springs to electrodes faulty. Dog slipping on start up. Also do you have a wet set up system or an analyser. Set up could be wrong.

Hi thanks for your response. it's a riello 40 series 26kw output. Tried a new control box, and checked electrode for cracking, springs appear okay and have good contact. However not sure re. wet or dry sys.

You have to make sure when you have changed a nozzle that the combustion process is within parameters. A nozzle can be out as much as 15% so affecting performance and ignition. A wet system is a manual way of testing the flue gasses and an analyser is an electronic method.
How did you set the oil pressure?

Sponsored Links
probably down to combustion setting but have come across problem before will sticking coil use a multimeter to check resistance across coil when cold warm up in hand and check again need 90+(ohms) for a successful start up

Hi, seems a silly answer with a pressure gauge to the pump side, tried various presses. 90/110 but the outcome is pretty much the same. I was always led to believe that the manafacturer recommended that the nozzle be changed annually to maximize combustion and effiency. This would appear to be have been the the case up until now ??

Yes but the boiler needs to be recommissioned after a service to make sure your getting it working properly. You need the proper tools as said previously. Get an OFTEC engineer to sort it.

the coil is a magnetically operated device which sends a charge down a valve on the fuel pump. This valve subsequently opens sending oil to the nozzle. the magnetic field with in this coil is measured in resistance (this is nothing to do with the water side of the heating ) this valve is set on top of the fuel pump where you take pump pressure readings
please note: this does not seem to be a serious problem and i would call oftec technician

The stem on a riello fuel pump closes when energized !.

Many thanks, I will take your advice here to rectify the problem and may pick up some tips at the same time.

Regards to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back