Riello burner struggling to ignite

Warning taken and appreciated, oilhead, but I do think your use of 'clever' is derogatory.

I don't pay someone to change the oil, filters, spark plugs, or brake pads on our cars, or even a new exhaust - I can take care of these jobs myself - but I don't mind paying someone to fit new tyres or replace a wheel bearing. Does this make me a bad person?

I can recognise my limits, hence my initial query.

Sponsored Links
Yes, a bit different living in probably the most remote part of the UK mainland (where the Isle of Lewis is nearer than the nearest mainland techy), compared to Hertfordshire where there is likely to be more than ten within ten miles. Not to mention that at times it will not be possible for anyone to get in or out at times.

In these circumstances I would have a second burner available, having been tested and set up in the boiler. I would also have a smoke pump.

Sponsored Links
They will know a lot more about plumbing and heating soon as they are going to visit a lot of such business to find out exactly what the income and expenditure is. If they happen to come to you, you can tell them how much a mile it costs. You will of course have all the figures at hand to corroborate your statements. NOT! :cry:

I do actually ;). Been tracking fuel usage pre and post engine tuning. I know exactly how much it cost per mile. the inclusion of non fuel costs would take less than 10 minutes to link the two relevant spreadsheets.

My accounts and other running costs are calculated in realtime and down to the last olive.

In fact they're probably too good :(.

Knowing how to rinse a small business is not the same as knowing how to run one either.

Do you know how much it costs to run a van per mile?
Ah, that old chestnut, eh? ;)

According to HMRC it's 45p/mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p/mile for anything over that :)

I'm not quite sure what your point is, though.
What HMRC allow you to claim tax relief against and what it actually costs are two very different figures.
My use of 'clever' was not aimed personally, but is representative of many peoples attitude to professionals.

Ambriel seems intent on penalising trades because he/she decided to live in the middle of nowhere. Almost as annoying as people living in central London and moaning about trades adding CC and parking charges onto the bill.

I used to live near central London. Now I don't - do I moan because I can't go out at 2am and get a manky burger without driving 20 miles.

I wanted a quiet relatively rural life, so I live with it and have to assume I pay extra for things; and suffer painfully slow broadband.

Must remember to make sure my accoutant is claiming for that now you reminded me. :mrgreen:

Ambriel seems intent on penalising trades because he/she decided to live in the middle of nowhere. Almost as annoying as people living in central London and moaning about trades adding CC and parking charges onto the bill.

That reminds me of a particularly annoying customer who when asked about the parking situation replied that "its my problem and it has nothing to do with him and all he expects to do is to answer the door when I knock".

Tony

Kerr-ching! You lose.

Try it for yourself. My postcode is IV27 4RR.

I have just been looking at that !

I dont think that I could live there! Its two hours and four minuters from the nearest Indian restaurant thats all the way south in Ullapool !

Even worse that its got no internet rating and I dont remember how good it is either which usually means that it was not memorable!

I do remember though that when I met the owner of the original Loch Fyne restaurant he did not offer me any tea or coffee!

Tony

Ambriel seems intent on penalising trades because he/she decided to live in the middle of nowhere.

Don't see how you justify that statement. All he did was ask a boiler question, not demand someone went to see him, then send them a fine when they declined to go.

more than sixty miles away. He charges 50p per mile (both ways) on top of whatever the job and parts cost.

If he has two or more jobs to do in the village he is known to charge each of us for the total mileage. (Nice little earner.)

I'm happy to pay for professional services, and do so as and when required, but I object to being ripped-off

So a 120 mile round trip in that region is what? three hours drive? Maybe more.

50p per mile times 2 or 3 is far from a rip off in my book.

Fair comment. I must overhaul my medium term memory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back