Need tiny ball bearing for ratcheting screw driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've lost the small ball bearing which is part of the mechanism that retains the bit inserted into my ratcheting screw driver. Having searched around the Internet I've concluded that this is a common mode of failure.

Will they likely all be the same size? I can get ball bearings on eBay but it's difficult to say what size it should be... about 3 or 4 mm?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you serious? Just buy a new screwdriver.

Better still, join us in the 21 century and buy a cordless.

Are you serious? Just buy a new screwdriver.

Better still, join us in the 21 century and buy a cordless.

That seems pretty wasteful considering that the same thing might happen again with the next one anyway judging by comments I find around the internet. All I need is one ball bearing. And this screw driver is part of a set that I'd like to keep whole.

I don't know what value you place on your time, but the faff factor alone would say chuck it.
That seems pretty wasteful considering that the same thing might happen again with the next one anyway
...and is likely to happen to the one you fix too.

Buy a cordless and sling the entire set or retire it someplace. Just salvage the screwdriver bits from the ratchet fella. You will never use a hand held again.

Sponsored Links
I already have one but it's at home and I don't want to have two. Besides, I feel validated when an inanimate object tries and fails to defeat me. I've ordered 50 4 mm steel balls for just 99p including delivery!

what are you going to do with the other 49 ball bearings?

He has 49 more chances of repairing it without have to search around again, the problem will be that he will put them somewhere safe and never find them again....lol

Okay, so it turned out that 3 mm was the correct size. It took less than a minute to fix though; if it takes you two hours then seek help from an adult who should already be involved to make sure you don't swallow the parts...

As for the other ball bearings, they'll go into my miscellaneous parts tool box, probably never to be found again, as pompeyal suggests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back