Need to attach 3pin socket to cooler circuit

Be aware this work is only for reasonably competent people. Connections must be sound, as dangerous otherwise. I recommend a professional for a decent job.

Sponsored Links
6kW is 25A - apply diversity, 14.5A

Why does he need 45A cable?

You are right about diversity of course, I did forget about that.

However, 2.5mm2 twin and earth cable, as shown on the hob, is solid, and shouldn't be used in that manner. And 6.0mm2 twin and earth is generally accepted to be used like flex, IMO.

What's 45A cable?

Sponsored Links
Note! I did read the wiki article. I didn’t install anything that is currently there.
No, but cables buried in the wrong place have been known to lead to death, so even though you didn't install it, this really is a case of you shouldn't consider not changing it if it's wrong.

That twin cooker outlet you were shown is ONLY suitable if it has a back box fitted to the wall. Which you don't appear to have, unless it's hidden somewhere.

Alternatively, use a 60 amp junction box, which are usually an oval shape. Click make them.
Installing a back box would be preferable - those JBs may not take 3 cables neatly, whereas the twin outlet plate is designed to do just that.

Would you have a diagram of how to wire a black box and the twin cooker outlet? Or even a link to buy a black box?

Would you have a diagram of how to wire a black box and the twin cooker outlet? Or even a link to buy a black box?

Here you have one cable coming in, and one going out.

4d9b525f-5758-47b0-9044-d6d1513c44cb-jpeg.131371

you need two going out.

AA45DCOPX.JPG

but TBH, if that was a puzzle to you then I don't think you should be doing electrical work.

And nobody here has used the term "black box".....

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=galvanised+back+box&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Sorry, my fault, totally misread that and thats what threw me. I've have done a number of electrical projects under the supervision of a qualified old friend before. I know exactly how to wire up a back box for this twin outlet, it was my misreading that made me think there was something else. I can assure you, I am competent and that was not a puzzle to me.

So my current JB has a remaining outlet, thats where the old oven was connected, but I think I'll go ahead with the twin outlet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back