Need to change my bath, bathroom sink and kitchen sink taps

Sponsored Links
You would normally replace the fibre washers yes
So changed bath taps. when I tightened the nuts up underneath the metal part below moved with it (circledin red). Should I have put some grips on them? The taps also moved and I just moved back into place (didn't tight the
flange) how maneuverable should taps be. Silicone and no washer under taps (top side).

Tissue to check for leaks.

Thinking about having a go with waste on bath before doing basin.
16765546719218608056181080908974.jpg

20230216_131219.jpg
20230216_130902.jpg
20230216_131038.jpg
20230216_125323.jpg
20230216_125038.jpg
20230216_110029.jpg
16765555608859083263314376135462.jpg

Last edited:
The tap tail can move with the pushfit fitting so don't worry about that. Usually there would be a topside rubber washer supplied with the tap but a little silicone will fill the gaps.

The taps should be tight enough so they don't move when used

Sponsored Links
The tap tail can move with the pushfit fitting so don't worry about that. Usually there would be a topside rubber washer supplied with the tap but a little silicone will fill the gaps.

The taps should be tight enough so they don't move when used
My biggest concern is leaking. I really struggled with the nut on the furthest away tap under bath. Couldn't seem to get nut to turn enough worry it'll come loose.

Tomorrow will try bath waste and kitchen tap

That's a common issue given the narrow spaces with the tap end of the bath usually being close to the wall, the trick there is remove the overflow, makes it a little easier to get the adjustable in at an angle. Don't forget these nuts don't need to be racked right up, hand tight then a half/full turn will do them.

That's a common issue given the narrow spaces with the tap end of the bath usually being close to the wall, the trick there is remove the overflow, makes it a little easier to get the adjustable in at an angle. Don't forget these nuts don't need to be racked right up, hand tight then a half/full turn will do them.
When you say hand tight, you mean with a spanner or fingers? I'm a bit unsure what u mean. The nut won't turn at all with fingers

So did bath's waste the old waste was filled with gunk and hairs, I undid connecting white ubend and cleaned that out too. Water was previously really slow flowing,now fast.

Put the ribbed side of washer against pvc.

Most importantly as I can't see a leak under bath shall I tie too roll on everything and just monitor it for any slow leaks?
20230217_161537.jpg
20230217_150921.jpg
20230217_151253.jpg
20230217_151951.jpg
20230217_152217.jpg
16766550092317173252084859268268.jpg

When you say hand tight, you mean with a spanner or fingers? I'm a bit unsure what u mean. The nut won't turn at all with fingers
You should be able to tighten the nut up to the tap tail as far as possible by hand and then all it needs is nipped up with the adjustable.

No need for loo roll, if you're unsure then just keep a cloth underneath it and keep an eye on it and run an hand over it for a wee while until you are confident with it.

You should be able to tighten the nut up to the tap tail as far as possible by hand and then all it needs is nipped up with the adjustable.

No need for loo roll, if you're unsure then just keep a cloth underneath it and keep an eye on it and run an hand over it for a wee while until you are confident with it.
Got plumber friend to do bathroom basin's waste and kitchen tap and check over what I'd done. Needed two new pieces of copper to go in underside of kitchen mixer tap. Used plumbers mate on basins waste. The pedestal on basin when removed didn't need supporting. Bolted well to wall.
20230218_092548.jpg
20230218_092534.jpg
20230218_110103.jpg
20230218_123913.jpg

Whatever you think about keitai his pics are very clear and in focus. Here’s to the next project!

Blup

Mate - Horses for courses - Me I personally hate the stuff, makes a mess for the next guy coming along. A little silicone is my choice but as long as it's leak free then that's the objective.

Ok so I remembered I forgot to change the fibre ring/o ring thing on basin taps. Very hard to feel it with fingers and being underneath. got the hot tap one off but couldn't feel anything on cold tap. If it's still on cold tap and I put a new one on as well, will it leak?

20230301_103619.jpg
20230301_103206.jpg

Depends on how well the new one sits, it can yes,

If you cant pull the nut down enough to see the bottom of the flange that the washer would sit on then it usually means the old one is squashed in there and it's holding the nut from moving down fully. You can get it there with a small screwdriver and dig the old one out, once it's removed you'll see that the nut can drop down enough to see the bottom of the flange, just for future reference

Depends on how well the new one sits, it can yes,

If you cant pull the nut down enough to see the bottom of the flange that the washer would sit on then it usually means the old one is squashed in there and it's holding the nut from moving down fully. You can get it there with a small screwdriver and dig the old one out, once it's removed you'll see that the nut can drop down enough to see the bottom of the flange, just for future reference
Because of the being underneath can't see anything , only feel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back