Need to change my bath, bathroom sink and kitchen sink taps

It's the basin wrench, apologies I'm used to calling them adj. tap spanners.
Should i keep the mono block tap back spanners or ditch them.

Actually I'm getting this young lad who's been plumbing awhile to do them or preferably watch me do them.

Sponsored Links
Use the adjustable spanner at an angle to undo the basin tap connectors off of the bottom of the taps, those basin wrenches are a nightmare to use properly. The large box spanner, smaller end undos the tap back nut the larger end does the bath tap nut.

The 3 box spanner do the sink tap nut.

If you're still not sure then time to get someone in to do it.
Use these three spanners on kitchen sink tap nuts?
Screenshot_20230129-173210_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230129-173256_Chrome.jpg

Nope, there's a threaded rod and nut behind those copper pipes, that locks the C plate you can see in place and that holds the tap to the worktop. You use the correct sized box spanner to remove the nut, once that's removed the tap will pull up and out.

Turn off the water and loosen the fitting connecting to the copper tails and unscrew at least one of the tail from the tap if possible, or cut one off to allow the tap to be removed from the sink.

Nope, there's a threaded rod and nut behind those copper pipes, that locks the C plate you can see in place and that holds the tap to the worktop. You use the correct sized box spanner to remove the nut, once that's removed the tap will pull up and out.

Turn off the water and loosen the fitting connecting to the copper tails and unscrew at least one of the tail from the tap if possible, or cut one off to allow the tap to be removed from the sink.
The silver thing between pipes in pix? Blue arrow
Screenshot_20230130-141526_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored Links

Gonna have a go with easiest set of taps with friend as plumber mate is so busy. Would tyecsafest one to have a go at be the bathroom basin taps? Leave bath and kitchen sink until later. It's not high pressured and ill spot any leaks

Do you know your bath is low pressure? Do you have a hot water cylinder and cistern in the attic or a combi boiler? If you have the former do you know for sure that you can shut the water off completely?

Do you know your bath is low pressure? Do you have a hot water cylinder and cistern in the attic or a combi boiler? If you have the former do you know for sure that you can shut the water off completely?

What could possibly go wrong?

20230207_223750.jpg
20230207_223844.jpg
20230207_223859.jpg

Where would I isolate the basin's hot and cold?

Your hot water is isolated via that big brass stop tap in pick 3.

Depending on where your basin gets its cold water from, it may be the mains or the cistern, if its the cistern then it may be that big brass tap to the right, half hidden in pic 1. That'll depend on whether that supplies the valve that fills the cistern above (the mains may be the pipe heading up on the left that has the grey pipe tee'ing off it) or whether it comes from the lower side or bottom of the cistern and heads out to the cold water taps.

You need to check that the taps are free to turn and that they shut the water off properly.

Your hot water is isolated via that big brass stop tap in pick 3.

Depending on where your basin gets its cold water from, it may be the mains or the cistern, if its the cistern then it may be that big brass tap to the right, half hidden in pic 1. That'll depend on whether that supplies the valve that fills the cistern above (the mains may be the pipe heading up on the left that has the grey pipe tee'ing off it) or whether it comes from the lower side or bottom of the cistern and heads out to the cold water taps.

You need to check that the taps are free to turn and that they shut the water off properly.
My first tap!! Neighbour showed me with hot tap, i did cold one. How tight should i do nuts ? I'll monitor tap for leaks before doing any others, put tray underneath? I guess this is more important on bath as a leak would be hidden.

Should I have used rings in bag too ? I just used washer

Maybe try waste on basin too before plumber comes on Sat.

Think the isolation taps are stiff as not used much. WD40? The handle off the cold isolator has snapped off.

20230214_221329.jpg

167641375135858595912346194775.jpg

20230214_220525.jpg
20230214_215429.jpg
20230214_215023.jpg
20230214_205720.jpg

Last edited:
The ring (fibre washer) in the bag goes onto the end of the copper pipe that connects to the tap, there is a flange on the end of that behind the nut, that the fibre washer sits on, ideally you fit a new one each time, you pull the nut down clear of the flange so you can clean the old one off and then fit a new one before attaching the pipe/nut to the bottom of the tap.

The ring (fibre washer) in the bag goes onto the end of the copper pipe that connects to the tap, there is a flange on the end of that behind the nut, that the fibre washer sits on, ideally you fit a new one each time, you pull the nut down clear of the flange so you can clean the old one off and then fit a new one before attaching the pipe/nut to the bottom of the tap.
So i undo this nut and clean the old one out and put new fibre washer in
Screenshot_20230215-213505_Chrome.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back