Need to cut a 60mm hole in mdf....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut a 60mm circular hole in some 24mm MDF. I am thinking of just using a standard 60mm hole saw. Thought I would use some masking tape to stop it flaking the surface too much.

Is this the best method?

Sponsored Links
It can't do any harm, but its really the size of holesaw teeth that will make a difference....go for a quality non split one like Bosch or Starrett, dont let the pilot hole wander and keep the holesaw dead perpendicular to the work and all will be fine. Any small damage can be sanded away.
John :)

Sponsored Links
drill from one side till around half way through then drill from the other side ;)

As the guys say drill from both sides but to know where to position the drill at the back do the following.
The hole saw will have a pilot drill in the centre, drill from the face but keep checking the back face of the board until the pilot drill just breaks through, be careful you don't push too hard. Then you can locate the drill point exactly on the other side to get a perfectly aligned hole. Easy.
Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back