Need to fix mounting point/hook through plasterboarded steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to install a hook or mounting point for a heavy punch bag and some other kit.

I have a small house so it'll be a temporary thing in the living room. I want to be able to have a heavy weight hook or ring on a bolt that I can unscrew when I'm done with it. This will be screwed through the steel beam going across my living room.
I don't even know the terminology for what I am asking for. Essentially install a permanent threaded recess/nut through the beam that I can screw an eye bolt or something into and take it out later.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If I’m reading this correctly, you do indeed need an eye bolt.
You can either drill a hole through the beam and put a nut on the end, or you can drill a ‘tapping size ‘ hole and cut a thread with a tap for the eye bolt to thread into.
Difficult though to make things neat - and I’d say you would be looking at a 12mm thread which would be fairly heavy duty engineering!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Eek...
Drilling through and using a nut to secure a longish insert nut might be the best. If such a thing exists.
I'll hunt for heavy duty eye bolts. I can hide the bad engineering with a bit of plasterboard so I'm not too worried about that bit. Just have to see if my drill is up to the job.
Cheers

Is the steel beam exposed or is it encased in plasterboard/fitted between joists in the ceiling void?
You really need to drill and tap the beam, (as suggested by Burnerman), or have a through hole that you can fit an eyebolt through with a nyloc nut and washer on the inside. You may get away with a square cut spring washer instead of the nyloc nut. Beating the crap out of a punch bag can often loosen the fixings if not secured correctly.

I'd have thought you'd want a small white or chrome eybolt at ceiling level and then you just attach/detach the bag with a carabiner.

Or for a more seamless installation you could see if something from the Fall Arrest anchor industry would have something suitable eg from here from 0.54 onwards.

Whilst this particular model is not designed for installation in a soffit (ceiling) situation, you are only hanging a weight albeit moving about a bit, but it's not having to cope with the strain of 100kg bloke being yanked down on it at 10m/s. Or I daresay one would exist that is designed to work in a soffit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back