need to get old boards up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I am refitting my bathroom and need to get up the old boards put down for the underfloor heating
but they are screwed down and nailed but they are rounding the head if I try to get them up, any ideas how I can get them up as the crowbar method isn't really working
thanks

Sponsored Links
please provide photos of the screwheads, and the screwdriver you have been trying to use.

photos attached thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3341.jpg
    IMG_3341.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3342.jpg
    IMG_3342.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
would a plug cutter work ?
Would need to be a tube type - the 2- or 4-prong versions can only be use in a drill press:

Tube Plug Cutter.jpg

Run in reverse slowly for 2 or 3 revolutions pressing down hard, then forwards

thanks thats good to know , pity I didn't see it and after 10 holes I hit a screw not good

I crowbars screwed down floorboards up. I did bugger the boards a bit, but had no other option at the time, as I didn't know those plug cutters existed!
But replacing the floor with new moisture resistant chipboard anyway, so no big deal.

I'm not saying it is, but you'd be surprised at how often people think that boards will just come up without damage and go back down again. We've even had conservation officers on a few jobs telling us that the old boards would have to go back down again, completely oblivious of what age and wear have done to the boards (i.e. made them thin and brittle)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like muck in the slot of the screw, although the photo is blurry, id recommend using an old tiny screwdriver or some kind of point to loosen the dirt, then vacuum it out, then use the screwdriver putting as much pressure on the back as possible making sure it's centred exactly, then try to loosen it.

Use a non powered screwdriver for better control. Tightening the screw first can help to release it. If all else fails chisel round the sides or use a small diameter hole saw to expose the head. Then grip the screw with needle nose pliers or carpenters pincers turning clockwise and counter clockwise until it loosens. If that fails use a crowbar but be prepared for the board to split and the screw to stay in place.

Alternatively install a wall mounted heater,

Blup

This is how I do it, also use it for plasterboard when I need to take a piece out to repair so minimum vibration to surrounding area . Use another piece of board with a hole to keep hole saw in place to start cut.

This is how I do it, also use it for plasterboard when I need to take a piece out to repair so minimum vibration to surrounding area . Use another piece of board with a hole to keep hole saw in place to start cut.
yep - a board big enough to get a knee on each side so it don't move. can even have some ready make plugs to make good the holes when relaying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back