Need to put up a Light in the bedroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

After my success with plumbing in a dishwasher with no spare cold feed or spare spigot.

My task now turns to, putting up a light in the bedroom.

The light we have bought is this:

http://dwell.co.uk/102116/Globe-wires-pendant-light/

We opened the packaging, and found the instructions:

1twysi.jpg

However those instructions are only for 1 wire of each (Neutral, Earth, Live)
But we have many different wires in these pictures:

2mo9l07.jpg

35c1jdi.jpg

Anybody have any ideas?

Not sure where to start?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
your new pendant uses the same connections as the brown and blue from your old pendant, plus the green and yellow earth if it is a metal lamp or has an earth wire.

please don't move any of the other wires.

Firstly make sure your hands are dry after your plumming efforts, turn off the mcb that supplys this lighting circuit.
its really straight forwad these ceiling roses are made up of 3 connecter blocks basically. the reds in the middle are your permant lives and need to go on their own in a connecter block. Then the red next door to the brown flex is your switch live (mark this with a marker pen as if it gets mixed up with the others youll be there wondering why your new light is on all the time and half the others in the house no longer work) this will then go with the brown of your new fitting. Then the same again with the 2 blacks these need to go back with the blue of your new light and the earth with the earths. if its possible with your fitting leave the rose plate up and just conect your new cables in place of the old blue and brown flex.

Hi guys,
thanks for the reply.

How this light is, I don't think I can use the current pendant fitting.

Because as far as I know, the metal plate on the right of this picture has to be fixed to the ceiling.

wciq9t.jpg

So can you confirm, I would have to take off the current pendant and do what you said with the connector blocks?

Could you link me to the required connector blocks (e.g. a picture?)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Another thing,
the connector block thing that is included in the light, doesn't seem large enough to accommodate all the wires?

15ehgyg.jpg

What alternative could be used?

Thanks

can you easily get to the ceiling from the loft above the lamp fitting?

can you easily get to the ceiling from the loft above the lamp fitting?

I presume you mean from the loft?
Nipping up loft now.

Yes I've found the location where the grey wire goes into the bedroom, looks like 2 feeds of grey wire?

Cheers

Then you can use a junction box, or another ceiling rose, to replicate all the connections exactly as they are in the ceiling rose, above the ceiling, with just the 3-core going through the ceiling into the light fitting. You miight like to clean all the wires with a small brush, and mark them with dabs of paint or a permanent marker so you put all of them back in exactly the right place. This is important.

That metal fitting looks as if it is intended to be screwed to joists or a wooden noggin, you may have to add supports.

I've found the location where the grey wire goes into the bedroom, looks like 2 feeds of grey wire?

I can see three grey cables going into the ceiling rose.

Yes you are right.

There are 3 cables.

jpyk9k.jpg

That is the picture from the loft, showing the cables going in.

From what you have said, I understand pretty much what has got to be done.

Only that concerns me is as you say supporting the rose.
That's something that I don't really know what to do?

Cheers

screw it to that wooden cross-piece someone has put in. It's called a noggin. Verify that it is securely fixed to the joists either side. Plasterboard is not strong enough.

screw it to that wooden cross-piece someone has put in. It's called a noggin. Verify that it is securely fixed to the joists either side. Plasterboard is not strong enough.

Hi John,

Thanks for your help.

I think I'll go down the route of replicating the ceiling rose in the loft and using the blue/brown/green-yellow from the new light fitting through the hole in the metal casing then wire up in the loft?

Cheers

I think I'll go down the route of replicating the ceiling rose in the loft and using the blue/brown/green-yellow from the new light fitting through the hole in the metal casing then wire up in the loft?
Cheers
I would question whether there will be enough cable at the lamp for you to do that.
If you wish to replicate the ceiling rose in the loft that is fine (but don't cover it in insulation) - but a better bet would be to connect the lamp chocbox with about 300mm of 1mm2 T&E - connect the chocbox with the lamp cables - push the 300mm of T&E through the loft space and fix the lamp in place - then make your connections to the ceiling rose as you plan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back