Need to remove the smoke alarms from gardtec 840

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have an aging gardtec 840 alarm, the smoke detectors are well beyond their best before date. I want to remove them and replace with standalone battery smokes.

I have the gardtec engineer and user manuals and the engineer code. The procedure is on page 84 of the manual, but all the YES NO’s get a bit confusing.....

I am ok up to

engineer mode Yes

prigram zones Yes

Enter zone number Yes

this is where I need the steps p l e a s e.....for Removing zones and (UN) Removing zones

Also I have all the Zone numbers for each contact, would the wiring connections for the smoke detectors, be obvious ?

Once the wiring is removed from the control panel I can remove the smoke detectors and replace them with my standalone ones.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Simplest way would be to just link out unwanted devices in the control panel and leave the programming.
Need to know how smoke detector is wired
Photo would help?
If traditional 4 wire then just put wire link in that zone alarm pair and tamper pair,tamper could already be linked

87EB37DA-42C1-416C-AD33-929F106B12B3.jpeg
If the control panel connections are marked the same as the zones it would be easy to remove them,

Managed to remove one smoke detector in the programming, but didn’t write down what I’d did, which is I hoped someone might have the steps

Detectors are EOL wired.
You need to put the 4k7 resistor across the zone in the control panel,that will link that zone out .

Sponsored Links
Sorry that’s out of my comfort zone.....Removing the wire I can manage.....does the control panel have the connections marked as zones...?

Any idea on the engineering contact remove procedure ?

Enter engineer code
Press yes
Prog zone yes
Prog zone type yes
Enter zone number which is to be turned off
Press no
Yes
Yes
Press no until it says off
Press
Yes
Press 0/esc until you come out of engineer mode.
If you do the above and do not understand then you could cause problems with your programming.
Simplest way is to put 4k7 resistor across the alarm zone in control panel

Thank you for the procedure, I guess to (UN)Remove a Zone it’s similar, which piece would be different ?

I need the power supply to the smokes removed so I can take them down safely so I can replace with standalone alarms.

Not sure if the control panel has connections marked with zone numbers, if not what way can I identify the smoke connections ?

Thanks

Take photo of alarm pcb wiring connectors.
If you want to make the zone spare/not used then you select off in that zone type.

some content has been removed
Thankyou, so to enable zones I simply choose ON instead of OFF is that correct ?

Will take photo of alarm panel in a few hours when I get home and post.

Thank you so much for your help thus far

I do appreciate you helping me. My speciality is oil refining, not much call for help with that on the forums LOL

There are 8 smoke zones

Last edited:
Yes 12,13,14,15,16

14 has two combined
15 has two combined
16 has two combined

I used your remove alarm procedure

It worked for Zone 13.....had already removed Zone 12 previously, but when I moved to 14 15 or 16 I didn’t see the OFF option....

Is this anything to do with them being shared ?

Enter engineer code

Press yes

Prog zone yes

Prog zone type yes

Enter zone number which is to be turned off

Press no

Displays 16=Fire

Yes

Yes

Displays 02=Access

Press no

Display 02=Access

Press no

Display 02 =Panic

Press no

Display 02>24Hr

Press no

Display 02>Fire

Press no

Display 02>Alert

Press no

Display 02>ET

Press no

Display Part EE

Press no

Display 02>Monitor

Press no

Display Ksw bat

Press no

Display Linef1t

Press no

Display 02>12Hr

Press no

Display ent/ex

Press no

Display Access.......and repeats

Press no until it says off

Press

Yes

Press 0/esc until you come out of engineer mode.

Also, one of PIR’s has gone faulty, need to remove this also, the above procedure doesn’t seem to work for this.....can you list that please ?

Last edited:
When you get to zone fire press yes(This is the zone type,12hr,access,24hr etc)
Press no next then you should have remove+,remove- ,off
Select off press yes then o/esc to leave eng mode

Just remove the wires from T8 , T7, T6 ....put the resistor with the purple band out of the smokes across each empty zone T8,T7,T6

Hello
Many thanks will try the remove zones tomorrow...

You say T8 T7 & T6 but there are 5 zones....12 &13 single smoke and 14,15 &16 Two smokes each....

Thought there would be 5 contacts to work on

Also the procedure for removing the PIR zone 02 can you list this please ?

Once repaired I can re-enable it

Guess I was hoping I could simply remove the power connection at the ceiling smoke detector and tape up the other wires and push through into the ceiling.....although it seems I will have to do work with the resistors, which I will find difficult...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back