Need to replace a combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a house and been told that by a plumber that the combi boiler (BRITONY COMBI BOILER CHAFFOTEAUX ET MAURY) needs replacing. It heats the radiators but there is no hot water. Think some of the pipes to the boiler are rusted froma previous leak (I'm waiting on someone to come out and tell me exactly what needs doing) but other than that I think it would be a straightfoward swap (with chemical flush).

With it being our first house I would prefer to get a boiler in that I know will be reliable and last us 10+ years, but I don't know if this will be prohibitively expensive. We have budgeted £1000 to get this done, and I have been advised the following from anotehr forum

"You could pick up a Baxi Mains boiler, complete with flue clock and loop for £399. I know a fella who would bang it in for around £250, dependant on whether pipes need moving aots. Thats for a good combi boiler (Non condense). A condensing boiler, you should budget for around an extra £80"

Flushing your system cost about an extra £50. And they will add inhibitor. The baxi mains condensing boiler is ace for the money. It comes with a 12 month gauantee when you buy it, and you get an extra 3 months on top when you register it with them (parts and labour). "

Does this seem like a good deal? Or is it likely to be a poor quality boiler for that price? If spending £2000 all in could get me a Viesmann or similar that will last me for 10+ years then I would be tempted to pay for it on credit card and clear over 6 months or so (assuming I could get an interest free period on purchases/balance transfers).

I know this may be a "piece of string" question but would appreciate anyone's comments as I am completely new to all of this!

Our house is 4 bedroom (3 doubles and a box room) mid terrace, 2 reception rooms, bathroom and kitchen.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thats for a good combi boiler (Non condense)

Good look getting a building cert for a non-condensing boiler.

£399 for a boiler with 1 year guarantee. There's probably a reason they only give you a 1 year guarantee and why it's £399

Buy cheap

Well I would advise a good boiler costing about £940 and I would charge about £840 to install.

Of course people do work cheaper in Liverpool.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony,

Do you think it would be better to buy the boiler myself and then just pay for the labour?

Jesus H Christ on a bicycle - £1K to Supply and fit an new boiler? I know I have been drinking Plymouth Gin, but flaming hell it ain't that much stronger than my normal tipple!!!!

Some work very cheaply in Liverpool.

I doubt anyone will be calling me to come and install a boiler there.

And £840 to change a combi is dear especially seeing as you have to ask how to fit a boiler to a wall.

OP a 1000 is a bit on the low side but dont be put off by some on here who think anyone who works for less than £300 a day must rough and a cowboy i would be more worried of the person who stretches it out over days and charges say £840 for example.
There is good proven boilers out there that wont cost an arm an a leg but some on here think a boiler needs a foreign sounding name to be good

Some work very cheaply in Liverpool.

I doubt anyone will be calling me to come and install a boiler there.

The stupid thing is, do they pay half the ACS costs we pay, is their PL insurance half the price? Fuel?

:rolleyes:

Been given a few quotes, as follows:

Worcester Bosch 28i Greenstar - £1650 with 2 year warranty
WB 30 si £1770
WB 37 CDI £2020

all with a 2 year warranty

Glowworm flexi com CXI 30kw - £1650
Glowworm flexi com CXI 35kw - £1770

with a 5 year warranty.

The fella says Glowworm is made by Vaillant these days so
they're much improved on older models, and are basically Vaillant quality at
lower prices.

Anyone have any thoughts? Another engineer has said that
28kw boiler will be enough for a house of our size.

can you get the glowworm guy to give a price on the Ultracom2 instead? Its a better boiler than the flexicom, although the flexicom is better than it was.
I wouldnt have a WB presonally, but if you must go for the CDi version not the dumbed down british plastic thing. 28-30kw will be plenty, its sized for the hot water not the heating. So more powerful the boiler, better flow from the hot tap. Its good your Glowworm guy is obviously an approved installer to offer the 5yr gtee.

can you get the glowworm guy to give a price on the Ultracom2 instead? Its a better boiler than the flexicom, although the flexicom is better than it was.
I wouldnt have a WB presonally, but if you must go for the CDi version not the dumbed down british plastic thing. 28-30kw will be plenty, its sized for the hot water not the heating. So more powerful the boiler, better flow from the hot tap. Its good your Glowworm guy is obviously an approved installer to offer the 5yr gtee.

I agree with Micky the Ultracom2 is a good boiler for the money, much better than any Worcester Tupperware Bosch boilers.

Anyone that can't do a combi swop in an 8 hour shift is taking the pi.s!!
We've one guy that's home by 3.00pm, on a 'job n finish' combi swop and his work is done to a very high standard. Wish I could get London rates here in Glasga, Tony!!!

The Baxi Main Eco is also a good value boiler, it's a bit big & ugly, but well manufactured. We've not had any problems with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back