Need to replace bathroom fan but original hole too large.

Thanks for the continued ideas.
Yes, the fan is ducted, a straight run of about 4M.
Maybe a 6" fan is the way to go, what do you all think of this one?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-...0v/11640#product_additional_details_container
It says it is for a kitchen but would it be suitable for a bathroom? the fan is nowhere near the bathtub or shower and you would need to be about 7' tall to touch it while using the basin.

Sponsored Links
I didn't realise that you had an inline fan in situ that you intend to leave? That will impact on the new fan
Am I mistaken?
If you do go the chopping board route, and recess, consider covering the chopping board with a bit of thin plasterboard- whatever you can scrounge or borrow from a skip. Recessing it a couple of mm into the wall (finished level) means you could use easifill to blend it in

I didn't realise that you had an inline fan in situ that you intend to leave? That will impact on the new fan
Am I mistaken?
If you do go the chopping board route, and recess, consider covering the chopping board with a bit of thin plasterboard- whatever you can scrounge or borrow from a skip. Recessing it a couple of mm into the wall (finished level) means you could use easifill to blend it in
Oh I see now, I also had not realised it is currently an in line.
In that case replace the existing unit with whatever will fit in the hole and fit something like this across the front?:
https://www.toolstation.com/louvre-vent-flyscreen/p54697
54697.jpg

You may need to block off around the inlet with a plate with 4" hole or packing material of some sort to make sure the extract is through the grill and not from the cavity.
Now I see why you suggested the original cover, yes that also makes sense if it can be made to work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the inspiring suggestions.
Yes, there is a very old looking industrial type fan sitting recessed in the ducting which I intend to remove.
I already have a flyscreen over the aperture as Sunray suggested and I like the idea of keeping the fan recessed into the ducting. I've found one which may suit with a minimum of fuss:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-...0v/50632#product_additional_details_container
The faceplate dimensions are 191x191cm. As the aperture is 190x190cm, I reckon it should be a snug fit even if I have to shave a few thou off. I can't use the timer function as there is no permanant live to the old fan but I'm pretty sure it will work without a permanant live connection (though a touch of confirmation would be welcome:)).
Once again, thanks for the inspiring suggestions,
Chris.

You just link the permanent live to the switch line trigger connection and will run fine but obviously will go straight off when switched off,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back