need to replace CH pump to powermax 155

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to replace a central heating pump to a Powermax 155 soon, I'm not overly familiar with these. I understand I need to drain the actual cylinder to do this. Does any one know if there is a drain off point built in to the cylinder?

The rads do have drain offs on them but they are the ones built in to the valve which you have to open before you can get a hose on them (terrible idea) so was hoping to drain from the boiler.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, a full bore drain 3/4 down the store. Why are you changing it?

Thanks for the reply. The customer has HW but no CH, the pipework looks like there has been a lot of leaks around the pump. As soon as CH is switched on the power trips.

Ok fair play. Was just asking because the fault could've been elsewhere before the pump. I'm assuming it's O/V?

I'll give you a tip on these. It's up to you to do it. I've done it 5 times with success. You will need 2 of you. Get someone to bung the header, with valves turned off at pump, take it out, have 2 new pump valves ready. Release pressure from top valve first, it will bung. Fit valve, more water will be in the lower pump valve, not a lot, fit that, you should have some play on that pipe as normally they drop. Get the bungs taken off. Fit pump.

Do you dare?

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. the tank is in the same cupboard as the boiler on a shelf above so if it has the drain off point you described that will be easier as I shouldn't have to drain too much. I have only used bungs once and they didn't work very well lol. Also it's a very nice property so don't think I should risk it! :)

Might change my mind when I get there though...

Bunging stuff is an every day occurance for me but i wouldnt bung a powermax.

A collegue of mine split a powermax by bunging it. The vacuum collapsed the store. Boiler was a write off, as was the ceiling below it.

Bunging stuff is an every day occurance for me but i wouldnt bung a powermax.

A collegue of mine split a powermax by bunging it. The vacuum collapsed the store. Boiler was a write off, as was the ceiling below it.

That's why I suggest 2 people, it has to be quick. Test that the pump unions are undoable first, and valve nuts. If not then don't, with a slick effort it can be done, but never on my own.

Thanks again. the tank is in the same cupboard as the boiler on a shelf above so if it has the drain off point you described that will be easier as I shouldn't have to drain too much. I have only used bungs once and they didn't work very well lol. Also it's a very nice property so don't think I should risk it! :)

Might change my mind when I get there though...

Be prepared to wait hours on refilling if you're unlucky.

Thanks for the replies. Drained from drain point (which happened to be blocked) Did take a while to fill as expected but all working ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back