Need tough and long-lasting flooring upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I have boards which were sanded and treated with Sadolin PV67 20 years ago. The choice is whether to renovate the floorboards (there are lots of gaps, some rather wide, and split and otherwise damaged boards) and resand and use the Sadolin again or go down another route. Upstairs gets a real beating because my child is educated at home in the afternooons and in the holidays (he has autism). There are some very high traffic areas. Some boards are pitted by furniture castors - eg , where the beds are/have been.

My son also posts anything he can find down the gaps in the boards - one board was lifted this week and I found £13 in change down there, including a silver shilling, plus hundreds of other items . I am not rolling in money so want to find the most practical and long-lasting solution. I am not a fan of laminate because it doesn't wear well and is very noisy. I considered carpet, as it would prevent him posting stuff under the floors and would be quiet and comfortable under foot, but it would get filthy very quickly.

I have waited until I had a new central heating boiler put in before coming to a decision about the floor. Needless to say, the plumbers caused additional damage to the boards.

I have wondered about Wicanders corkloc flooring - I know it's expensive, but if it's durable and copes with furniture being moved around, it might be an idea. Alternatively, I wondered about real linoleum, as it's durable, non-toxic, easy to clean. At the back of my mind is the worry about how difficult it will be in future if floorboards need to come up - I assume lino would have to be ripped up and the floor would be ruined, whereas with something like corkloc, it could be lifted with care. A third possibility would be new floorboards, as they could be acclimatised and then fitted tightly so the posting behaviour would stop, - but they would need to be very hard, or the pitting from the bed castors would happen again. I have to say that I am no longer really a fan of stripped floorboards. Downstairs I have a cheap and nasty laminate over boards, this will simply have to stay for a few more years.

I should welcome advice from experts who post here, please. What would you recommend in this situation, please? What is well worth avoiding?

Sponsored Links
I have also posted about replacing the damaged floorboiards on a separate thread and should welcome people's suggestions about tough durable flooring that would be an alternative to bare boards. Thanks.

NOT AN EXPERT, So verify before trying.

If the gaps are huge, you could "pack" the gap with slivers of wood, wedges of wood or with shop bought thin "moulding" pieces. Adding glue before ramming them home might keep things air tight and secure - not to mention keeping your young philanthropist from diverting your money to the future house owners.

Apparently the slivers of wood are hammered home gently then then cut and and sanded level with the surface of the flooring.

Thinner gaps can be filled with specific filler, names escape me right now.

Then simply stain and finish the entire floor to a uniform colour?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back