Need Urgent help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently due to cold weather my mains water pipe burst luckly it was just above the cut off valve and managed to stop it before it got realy bad!

but my problem is i bought 22mm copper pipe and 22mm solder straight couplers (house is a new built only last year) but for some reason the couplers wont fit at all. ive had my plumber friend up to look at it and he dosnt have a clue?? tried all makes of couplers now i have no water or heating. only other option now is speed fit would that e acceptable

does anyone have any idea?? maybe a make of pipe whilch is a bit bigger? pipe size has expanded ?

help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Are your fittings exactly the same size of the pipe?

Where did you buy your pipe and fittings?

I've come across this a few times myself, just go to plumb centre or something and order your 22mm pipe and 22mm fittings and they should fit.

In what way do the couplers not fit? Is the pipe too big or too small for them?

In what way do the couplers not fit? Is the pipe too big or too small for them?

The pipe and fittings are the same size, so its like trying to fit an offcut of 22mm pipe, over... 22mm pipe

think the pipe may be 3/4 and the fittings are regular 22mm fittings.

Sponsored Links
John, 3/4' pipe went out of circulation in about 1974..... this property is about a year old - do some sums. (unless the builder bought some 'cheap copper tube' from a bloke with a rattly trannie) :rolleyes:

R2, possibly the pipe has indeed expanded, so take it back to the compression fitting on the outlet of the stoptap, and renew it from there onwards. If 22mm capillary fittings do not 'fit', then speedfit ones will not either.

DH

Almost certainly the pipe has frozen and expanded.

But 3/4" is still apparently used in Ireland !

But John, its smaller than 22 mm!

Tony

the house is a new built only a year ago and on the existing bends it has 22 printed on them, i bought 22mm straight solders from b n q they where too small by bout a 1m then my friend who is a gas engineer tried 22mm he had, he also tried a coupler whilch is used to fit old imperial to new metric and they didnt fit.have foned couple experienced plumbers i knw n they dnt have a clue. its like the lenght of pipe is 22mm at both ends but for some reason expands slighty in the middle by like 0.5mm

at the moment i have managed to get 2 speed fit couplers and they seem to be doing the trick and have water running in the house. do u think this is fine for the time being?

Was my previous post invisible to you?

I can see it clearly!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back