17mm grey plastic pipe - reduce to 15mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

In my house I have a 17mm grey plastic cold feed water pipe, the hot pipe looks to be 22mm.

I had to reduce it once before with a philmac coupler, however, I am planning on putting a shower in the bathroom and taking the bath out. I am unsure if I can fit one of these couplers in there as space is less and they're quite bulky.

Is there anything else I could use to reduce this to 15mm?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It is 17mm, its an ex-council house built in the 30s.

Plastic pipe wasn't available in the 30's it is a more recent invention, the grey stuff even more so. It will be either 15 or 22mm, there have not been any other sizes made. If you know better why ask the question?

Sponsored Links
no such thing as 17mm and if that pipe was installed in the 30s it would not be PE and would be imperial not metric, Hugh you beat me to it mate

Sorry chaps, not trying to be funny, I've measured it and it isn't 15mm, I cut through some and tried to put 15mm in and it didn't fit... it must have been put in the 70s then, either way it isn't 15mm

We came across some obscure French plastic pipe a while ago in London. Never found a fit for it so the whole lot was ripped out. I vaguely remember that being somewhere between 15mm and 22mm. It was a long time ago, and after making lots of fruitless enquiries asking old timers and merchants all across North London, it was given up upon.

During the copper shortage in the 70's some of the imported plastic pipe was for use with solvent fittings and has now gone very brittle over the years.

We had to replace a whole estate in Runcorn that had been plumbed in the 70's because it was an oddball size and every time you touched it, it broke.

Handle with care.

Sorry chaps, not trying to be funny, I've measured it and it isn't 15mm, I cut through some and tried to put 15mm in and it didn't fit... it must have been put in the 70s then, either way it isn't 15mm

Hi hr21 u can get coupler from eBay or a place called Morgan's Chamberlain rd it is glue one end and 15mm the other.. some people just want to be perceived as clever just massage their egos lol its about £8.. trade

Can you put a photo up, and particularly if there's any writing on the wall of the pipe. We get a lot of people measuring pipes wrongly and asking for odd sizes that don't exist, hence the uncertainty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back