Need width advice 1.2m wide French door, anyone fitted them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of obliterating what will be our lounge. I wanted to take the existing 1200mm wide window out that faces the rear graden, and replace with a set of 1200 wide french doors.

I called out a localish door company that our family have had really good experiences with. Very nice, polite and came across very proffesional. He advised against the 1200 wide french doors as you wont get much glass and said it wont get the look you are after. He recomeded a single wide door approx just over 1000mm wide, with it being completely glass. and some plastic bits no doubt to make up the rest of the opening.

(widening of the opening is probably not within our budget as it will require the moving of the toilet outfall on one side, and the bath outfall to the other!)

The thing is the wife isnt convinced by the single door, and i dont think i am either. So i have been doing my research trying to find pictures of a 1200 wide door and seeing how it looks.

I found this which looks like a suitable canidate (see below), and seems to look fine. Maybe i should try another company? he wanted 1650 for the rear door as a single and then a standard upvc door and frame installed between the kitchen extension and the rest of house. This was inclusive of cutting brickwork for opening up the exiting window, but not any reinstatement of plaster etc.

thumblrg_door_french_cottpv.jpg

but i wondered if anyone here has installed 1200 wide french doors and if they were dissapointed with how they looked, or moreso found them a pain in the arse as they are not wide enough.

Your help is greatly appreciated on this one!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back