Needing more Electrical Updates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A massive bump to this thread, as no point starting a new one I guess.

First-Time-Buyer is now Second-Time-Buyer, and the new house is in need of some electrical updates.

The house is a 5 bedroom, or 4 bedroom with Study dorma bungalow. It has a 4-way board, 1 lighting circuit, 1 sockets, immersion and some form of kitchen ring-main where a hob/oven is plugged into it...just weird.

I've had the floors up, some sockets are spurred from the ring, the lighting circuit is made of singles, not that bad I guess with "Borrowed Neutrals" at the top of the stairs, with a 1 lighting circuit property.

In short, Mrs FTB is moaning that she has a use extension leads everywhere, the plan is to upgrade/update as we progress.

Plan 1, as each room is decorated, replace existing stranded UPVC cabling with new cabling, attempt to pull through the switch drops with minimum damage. Sockets certainly need updating, I am not really a big fan of double sockets being spurred from ring mains..

Plan 2, Kitchen update. Have the consumer unit, and kitchen sockets replaced. Introduce a cooker circuit and remove the garage SWA from the kitchen socket...

Its £300 sheets to have the Consumer Unit changed (Supplied, Fitted & Testing) however the local DIY sheds have recently been selling 12way 17th Edition Boards with MCBs for £70-80.

Certainly worth notifying LABC, then carrying the work out over the next 2-3 years....

A full rewire is knocking on £2500, where probably I am looking at £500 sheets all, plus LABC costs DIY...

ideas?

FTB

(C&G 236 Pt 1)

Sponsored Links
Its £300 sheets to have the Consumer Unit changed (Supplied, Fitted & Testing) however the local DIY sheds have recently been selling 12way 17th Edition Boards with MCBs for £70-80.
I would think your 'however' has already been accounted for. :)
I presume you mean that the £300 quote assumes that the CU will not cost much more than £70-80, the remainder being the labour cost - which I imagine is correct. However, I suppose the OP's point is simply arithmetical - that from his viewpoint, DIY would make the difference between parting with £70/80 and £300 (at least, until one started factoring in LABC charges, test kit hire etc.).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If that is the case then HERE is a better one (CU that is, not just the price).
I was going to say that that seems almost a 'ridiculous' price for a Hager CU of that size - but I see that even TLC only charge £57.50 (excl. VAT). It's amazing that, if bought separately, the two RCDs plus Main switch would cost almost as much.

Kind Regards, John

Wow, that Hager board is cheap. I had spotted a MK Sentry board in Screwfix which started idea.

Even at £80 with Board+Tails etc, I would be £220 up towards paying the LABC to test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back